1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does a Matchless DC30 and a Vox AC30 sound alike?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

not really. i'll probably get flamed but i happen to like the matchless a lot more. i might not have played "the" right vox though yet

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

A Matchless DC-30 is one of the coolest amps...

EVER! PERIOD!

I like them better than all the Vox's I've heard too.

4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Most of the Matchless amps are basically hot-rodded Voxes. If you look at the phase inverter and power amp, they are identical except for 2 minor capacitor changes.

The preamps are where the differences may be found. Again, there are many similarities between Vox and Matchless, but Matchless introduced some very interesting features (plus a good amount of gain).

Matchless is like an evolution of Vox--and a good one at that. A very refined amp with an attitude. What's not to love?

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. I had a DC30 for a couple of years......fantastic response for edgy rock tunes. One thing, though......it is one LOUD mofo, even in 1/2 power mode with twin 5V4 rectifiers. I never liked the sound of the amp with the MV engaged.....too thin sounding. Mine was a '94.

6. Steve Dallas

Ah, but if you can live without the pentode channel, the Lightning is way cool too. It has been my go-to amp for about a year now. It's still freakin' loud, but at least bearable at 15 (very loud) watts.

7. riffmeister

use your Lehle to switch to a Nighthawk and you'll have the whole DC30 (but at 15 watts instead of 30 watts)! :D

8. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

I've been starting a build on a 30 watt version of the lightning. I guess it's pretty close to the 12AX7 channel on the DC30, but that's only on paper.

I'm hoping to squeeze out just a little more headroom. The trannies are just monsters.

9. Steve Dallas

You should get exactly what you want with that, Scott. You will basically have the triode channel of the DC30 with more clean headroom than the Lightning. That will be hard to beat.

Truth be told, my favorite Lightning is one I built for myself... Many times, clones can sound better than originals--especially if the parts are premium and the attention to detail is where the focus is.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

BTW, don't you live somewhere in my neck of the woods?

10. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

3 hours south of you...

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Do a Matchless DC30 and a Vox AC30 sound alike?

As noted above, the DC-30's clean channel uses the AC30 as a starting point.

The DC-30 then adds an EF86-driven gain channel (and how!) and a half power switch and a MV. A DC-30 on half power is the loudest 15 watt amp on Planet Earth. I, too, never use the MV. It's got the trademark Matchless voicing.

Part of the magic of the DC30 (2x12 combo) is the speaker array: Mismatched speakers wired to 4 ohms, give a jangle, swirl and 3-D depth that is addictive. It really matters.

If you're interested in Voc AC30 alternatives, also check out the Top Hat King Royale. Also starts with the AC30 thing, then adds a second channel and some really useful switches up front to make it a two-channel amp with an A/B/Y box.

They are evolutions of the AC30, not clones.

Kiwi

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Not at all to me. I MUCH prefer the Vox. The matchless farting on the low end I just can not put up with. the Vox is also much smoother and rubbery sounding. the matchless shoots out notes like a firehose.

13. riffmeister

Yup, those firemen have a real ear for good tone. I guess that's why they are always gushing. :D

14. Timmo

Timmo Member

Well.........the short answer is NO!
    I used to own both and side by side the original AC/30 was just more dimensional with more push.
    Another thing I remember was the headroom.
    The Matchless 'farted-out' if really pushed and the AC/30 just got better and better with more volume.
    Sadly, I own neither today....................:jo

15. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>The Matchless 'farted-out' if really pushed and the AC/30 just got better and better with more volume<<

It had GAS. :)

16. Timmo

Timmo Member

17. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone try the Dr. Z Maz Sr.? Where does it fall in comparison to the AC 30?

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Mine isn't as loud as the DC30, has more traditional EQ and reverb so it's easier for a beginner to dial in, and is much lighter. I'd be hard pressed to say which I like better, they're just different. I guess I'd say the Z is more a Fender sound with EL84s.

19. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I don't have either. But I play with someone who has a sweet AC30. I DO mean sweet. When you jump the channels and crank it...it's hard to beat. But in my opinion it needs to be cranked to get the sweet sound. And it is EXTREMELY loud.

jeffhef