Does a modded DS1 sound like a Crunchbox?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sixa, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Sixa

Sixa Member

Sorry if this is :horse

But.......
    I really want to get a Crunchbox, but if I get my DS1 modded ( thinking Keeley ) will it sound the same as a Crunchbox, or is it a tottaly different sound? :confused:

THNKS in advance.

2. big brekfest

big brekfest Guest

not near as crunchy; very different in its own right. I have both (monte allums SD-1) and i gotta tell you, if you want crunch box sound, you're going to have to pony up for a crunch box.

3. Sixa

Sixa Member

Thanks for the info big brekfest. :BEER
    Looks like i'll be ordering a Crunchbox. :AOK

Anyone else have any thoughts?

4. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

The crunchbox is closer to the Marshall Guv'nor, modded for more gain.

5. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

i got one of the early analogman ds-1's and a crunch box...crunch box wins hands down...

6. funkycam

funkycam Member

I had a keeley ultra mod ds-1 & have a crunchbox
    totally different.
    Into a clean amp ds-1 is like a heavy blues sound (w/my strat). crunchbox is heavy rock, way more mids muuuch more gain on tap.
    Can't comment on other ds-1 mods

7. Clint torrez

Clint torrez Member

The Crunchbox knocked the Keeley Ds-1 Ultra Mod off my board.

8. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

I think that it depends on what sound you are trying to get. Because I have a crunch box on my larger board and when I was putting together a smaller board, I started try out different boxes and actually was able to dial in the sound that I liked with my crunch box, I was able to get the same with my ds-1. so I think that it depends.

9. Sixa

Sixa Member

You guys are great.

Thank you so much for the info. :BEER

10. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

I must have had a bad one because I didnt like my Crunhbox at all. I thought it was very unnatural sounding. I actually preferred my Keeley DS1 to it. Sounded very sterile to me. The Lovepedal Angus/800 is a very natural sounding Marshall gain, very amplike where the Crunchbox took over my amp sound and didnt blend with it. Maybe I had a bad one.

11. 89strat

89strat Member

I don't think you had a bad one. I have one also and it turns whatever you're playing into that Marshall sound. As others have said, it's a one trick pony, but it's just so good at it. I play one through a fender amp, and as soon as I switch it on, it's that sound. This is not a bad thing at all, but it doesn't clean up as well as others, has that higher gain thing going, singing mids, etc.. but I agree with you, it does kind of take over the sound.

I had a keeley ds-1 ultra, but it was some time ago. The keeley seemed like it stand out more for leads, but I wasn't in a band at the time I had it so I couldn't say for sure. But it had a similar marshall vibe to the crunch box.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    +1
    the Cruncbox is a 1 trick pony for sure - a brilliant one. But it's only great if you want the Marshall JCM800, JCM900 & Plexi distortion tones. It doesn't clean up with your guitar volume pot. If you like that tone it's a winner - if you don't, move on. I have Mesa now and used to have a JCM800 so I luv the Marshall distortion tones. For Mesa users the Crunchbox is great cause it gives you a very different range of distortion flavours that a Mesa can't do - same for Fender or Peavey amp users.

13. jops

jops Member

+1

I use mine with a Mesa Maverick and I agree with the posts above that it only has one flavour. I found that I could dial in the CB on the clean channel for some fantastic Marshall drive, but the magic happened when I accidently kicked it in on the dirt channel of the Mav, lo and behold it completely changed the color and character of my amp. I love it for certain rock style songs. I have both the Mav and CB set for medium gain but it doesn't seem to add any horrible harmonics or sputtering gain. Just in yer face rock. :dude

14. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Same here.

Keeley Ds-1 was better for leads... but I could dial in very close sounds from both too.

I didnt jell with the CB at all... the OCD was better than CB the way I used them.

15. XKnight

XKnight Member

I had a Crunchbox and an Analogman modded DS-1. I found that I was able to dial in very similar sounds. The Analogman DS-1 was more versatile though.

16. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

Same here.

17. afterburner

afterburner Member

+2.

I found the Keeley DS-1 a little thin and too brittle for my taste. It didn't have enough sustain, especially for leads.

The Crunch Box sounds really huge and I could get fat thick lead tones with lots of sustain.

18. JJexp

JJexp Member

so what's a med-hi gain OD with good clean up in the under $150 range?

19. afterburner

afterburner Member

maybe Barber Direct Drive? it's also got a marshall flavour, from what I've read.

20. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I still use my Keeley DS-1 Ultra after 4 years. The Crunch box was great, but as posted above, it is much more limited. I had those tones covered and traded the CB for another non-dirt pedal.

I use the Keeley Ultra DS-1 mostly for leads, into an amp with some gain already, with the ultra bass tone engage, and the tone knob down, gain very low, and level mid to high. With that setting, it is a very warm (not brittle) tone (and boost depending on the level). It also stacks well with other pedals.