• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Does a new guitar player/artist have to remind you of a guitar legend to be liked???

fishlog

I don't understand the John Mayer hype at all...I just don't get it. I think he is average... and yet there are threads and threads about him??? Besides having that "Fender" tone what else does he offer?

I have heard the excuse there are just not a lot of guitar players out there... I don't know... Billy Corgan, Stephen Malkmus... two of my favorites still putting out really good stuff.

But back to the question...

Does a new guitar player/artist have to remind you of a guitar legend to be liked???

fishlog

Really? Well this was the initial inspiration for the post:

Ya see the new Weezer album came out and I decided to log on and see what the talk was about it. Well there is any hardly any talk about it. I kind figured there would be after all its a guitar oriented band, there are solos and its produced Ric Ocasek. But there was little offerings.

So I return to forum home and low and behold whats the first thing I see... John Mayer. I was like give me a break!

Give me Rivers Cuomo's any day over Mayer. Cuomo to me is like Seinfeld, Mayer is like Friends. Not sure what that means but maybe someone else will.

straycat113

It all starts with "The Songs"! A good song is what pulls me in and if the guitar player has chops that makes it even better. There are probably more players today with incredible chops just sitting on their beds playing other peoples solos than ever before. I don't care how phenominal a player someone is if the music he is playing sucks. Everyone seems to want to play technical just for the sake of technique, while most of the greatest rock songs were written around 4-5 chords, a solid riff or guitar part, and a good melody line. If anything has suffered the most it is the art of writing good songs! Even though he comes off as a pompous A-Hole Mayer knows how to write a catchy song and can play. But only in this era would his lead work give him Guitar God status, as he just lacks any fire when he plays IMHO. To keep it fair I will name say 3 favorite players of mine that would fit with where Mayer is style wise -Gary Moore- Frank Marino- and SRV. Imagine if all 4 were on stage and Mayer was the last to cut loose, I think he would look like a bar room player way in over his head. Doesn't mean he isn't a good musician, singer, and writer, which he is= but when his fans start calling him one of the greatest guitarist -it is laughable. I also don't like to come off sounding mean spirited or that music is a competition, but his fans are seriously annoying!

RCM78

Sorry man, If you had left Mayer out of it Fine but this board just beats the subject of John Mayer to death!!!

Until some kid comes out of their basement with a new unique sound EVERY new guitarist will be compared to a past "legend".

Mayer writes good songs, is a great player in his own right, and aligns himself with his hero's. His bands have always been a list of legendary players. It's very easy to compare him to guys like Hendrix, and SRV but IMHO his songs dont sound anything like either of them...

speakerjones

No. They don't even have to be a stellar player. They just have to have good songs, and play for those songs, whether that means ripping crazy solos or strumming cowboy chords.

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
Absolutely not. Original doesn't necessarily mean interesting, of course, but it's a good place to start if it goes with good songs and musicality.

As far as rock guitar is concerned, there are so many players crammed into what is really a very small stylistic space so it's not easy for someone to play guitar in a recognisably rocky way yet a clearly novel way.

Multicellular

My attention tends to gravitate toward something I haven't heard before.

But not always.

I don't love the classic rock most people on here do. But I like a few of the songs.

My guitar heroes are Kim Thayil, guys from Helmet, Quicksand, Alice in Chains.

I would perk up if I heard anything like that, but don't usually.

I should get on pandora.

Guitarworks

No. In fact, I'd like them to be groundbreaking. I'd rather they not borrow too heavily from any one source, at least not without putting their own indisputable stamp on it, have many varied inspirations, and keep them all relatively well-concealed. Melodic, creative songwriting with imagination, intelligent lyrics, chord progressions that showcase a huge vocabulary of standard and unorthodox chords & tunings, and use of the entire fretboard is all a must.

M138

100% Fenriz Approved
No. At the same time, I do not ignore artists that may sound like "legends". I try to consider the merits of each artist individually.

Frank Prince

Silver Supporting Member
The players that get my attention are the guys that either come up with something fresh out of the gate, or repackage a combination of things with new sound or approach in a manner that makes the whole much greater than the sum of the parts.

Players that have had that effect on me at various points:
Tony Iommi
Billy Gibbons
Tom Scholtz
Clapton with Cream
SRV
George Benson
Scott Henderson
Ty Tabor
Ben Monder
Wayne Krantz
Eric Johnson
Steve Morse
Frank Gambale
Allan Holdwsorth
EVH
Wes Montgomery
George Lynch
the list goes on and on.

John Mayer, though arguably very talented, strikes me as an artist who attained enormous fame with a combination of attitude, looks, self promotion, personality, strong drive to be famous, and being the right guy in the right place at the right time.

No doubt he worked his ass off to get where he is, but I'm convinced that if he had been a fat greasy guy with a mullet and terrible fashion sense when he started out, none of us would have ever heard of him, much less the actresses and models he dates and all the college girls and soccer moms and 20-40 year old dudes that seem to make up his fan base. :dunno.

Ivo

I don't understand the John Mayer hype at all...I just don't get it. I think he is average... and yet there are threads and threads about him??? Besides having that "Fender" tone what else does he offer?

I have heard the excuse there are just not a lot of guitar players out there... I don't know... Billy Corgan, Stephen Malkmus... two of my favorites still putting out really good stuff.

But back to the question...

Absolutely not. It's best to ignore the John Mayer/Bonanamassa or whatever threads and start topics about artists/music that you want to talk about. No use bashing stuff others like, so push subjects that interest you instead.

That's what I do, even if my threads almost always get zero replies or die just as fast. :p I mean - you never know, right? Just a different demographic at TGP, but you might find a few outliers so keep trying. :)

straycat113

Lets face it starting with every legend from the 60's on electric was some influence from someone they were into in the 50's be it the Blues with BB King or Buddy Guy or straight up rock with players like Burton or Moore. How much you wear that influence will separate you from the pack and help you create your own style. Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Iommi and and others took simple Blues licks and cranked them up to ten to create gigantic riffs as well as speeding up the lines as players began to play faster. So you got the feel where it originated from but it created a whole new genre which became hard rock. After SRV passed away I don't think there was that much clonage from a single period! It seemed like every kid with a Strat wanted to be the next SRV instead of the next whatever their name was. Like Hendrix before who was a big influence on Stevie as was Albert King Stevie would pay homage but had his own style. The same way Hendrix did with Curtis Mayfield -all the chord embellishment rhythm playing and Buddy Guy with those humongous bends. I know this thread keeps finding it's way back to John Mayer but Clapton said it best in The RollingStone interview "He treated our day's together as work and I tried to point out to him the importance of music being the truth- and to get him to come out of the bedroom. There are a lot of bedroom players and John was in and out of that. I wasn't sure if John was aware of the power of playing with other people, though I think he is now. I think he becomes caught up in being clever. It seems to me his gift happens in spite of him. He's a prime saboteur. And he will do himself in, if everyone let's him. But his gift is in good shape." This is from the infamous 2010 interview where he honestly crossed the line talking about what stars he was banging and coming off really full of himself. The cption on the RS website which still has the interview headlines with= Why rocks biggest playboy couldn't just shut up and enjoy his success. You would of think he would of learned from this and then he out did himself in his Playboy interview!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom