• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Does a new guitar player/artist have to remind you of a guitar legend to be liked???

80tiger

Platinum Supporting Member
Nope. I haven't even heard most legends. Just heard Mayall Monday for the first time EVER. Loved him although he didn't remind me of anyone (ie the whole band including the guitar playing).

bluesjunior

If we are talking about guitar players who will only ever be heard by a really small amount of people I suppose their are likely lots of "new" sounds available depending on personal opinion but perhaps not on relevent/popular sounds. However if we are talking about popular music and Hendrix, Clapton, Beck et al are popular musicians, then it is a really hard ask to come up with a new angle as the truth is most of it has been done already and a lot of it done to death. The most that modern popular musicians can realistically expect to attain in my opinion is to have their own take on an existing sound ie not a direct copy but a direct influence. Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Mayer and Gary Clark jr come to mind as this type of artiste.

Shelby 412

Too much emphasis is put on originality and instrumental athleticism rather than just being a great musician who puts genuine substance or soul into their art. All music first and foremost is folk art, it should tell a story or have some connection to the artist and the world around them, too many artists have nothing interesting to say with their music but all sorts of tricks to say it with (Figure out a marketing formula and use it to brand your music). The biggest thing classic rock has over contemporary music is depth and substance.

Petethekiller

People that are original, as in exciting original, tend to have something to say. Can be just a basic player, but original touch and phrasing. That's how your Clapton's, Beck's etc started out and they didn't get it from colleges or teachers that every kid has today. Trying to copy Hendrix and other blues rock is how I got my style, nothing hard about it.

Turi

No, hell no.

Maty Bellamy and Ray Toro don't remind me of anyone and I love them.

I'd honestly rather not be reminded of anyone!!

"Oh he sounds like Lindsay Buckingham"
Why would I not just listen to Lindsay?

I much prefer originality.
Or at the very least, something unique in the way they play their un-original style.

There's a dude in my town who plays mostly clean, kiiinda jazzy, but he doesn't remind me of anyone in particular and he's probably one of my fav guitarists!

But tbh as long as the player is feeling the music, that's fine by me.

Probos

No,...I'd prefer they not remind me of anyone I'd heard before but it's impossible to escape being compared to someone that came before. It's inevitable.

I like guitar players that can write songs. Good, interesting, properly applied energy/emotion and well executed songs. They don't have to reinvent the wheel to be good either. I don't care if they play two chords over and over and have no solo.

I like songs.

Sounding derivative isn't an absolute deal-breaker for me, but my attention span and tolerance for it is a lot lower than it used to be. The older I get, the more I admire musicians who sound like themselves. That's truly one of the hardest things to accomplish.

Pitar

Sorry man, If you had left Mayer out of it Fine but this board just beats the subject of John Mayer to death!!!

Until some kid comes out of their basement with a new unique sound EVERY new guitarist will be compared to a past "legend".

Mayer writes good songs, is a great player in his own right, and aligns himself with his hero's. His bands have always been a list of legendary players. It's very easy to compare him to guys like Hendrix, and SRV but IMHO his songs dont sound anything like either of them...
Mayer writes good songs for an audience sporting a very low bar.

On the comparison side of the observation, why do I not want to be perceived as being a facsimile of (named) highly respected artist? Who would want that hung on them?

I've never wanted to be "like" someone. What's to gain by that? I started writing many years ago and the purpose is to gain a unique identity, not the opposite.

I think kids learning how to play have the wood for their heros. Gotta get passed that.

Pitar

Absolutely not. It's best to ignore the John Mayer/Bonanamassa or whatever threads and start topics about artists/music that you want to talk about. No use bashing stuff others like, so push subjects that interest you instead.

That's what I do, even if my threads almost always get zero replies or die just as fast. :p I mean - you never know, right? Just a different demographic at TGP, but you might find a few outliers so keep trying. :)
Early 80's riding down the strip on Ft Lauderdale Beach at spring break, high noon on a Saturday in a Triumph TR7 driven by a co-worker. On the radio comes Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds Of Silence. He reaches over and spins the knob to another channel as fast as he can commenting under his breath "I hate that sh*t!". In milliseconds we're listening to The B-52's Rock Lobster and he's happy. I'm thinking doosh but, hey, it's his car (a car for dooshes) so I try to smile away the agonizing lyrics, melody and thoughts that people actually liked that tripe.

So, you see, it isn't just a simple matter of brushing off your own psyche and patronizing what you do like. It's more like war. I say kill'm all and their music will go away.

Ivo

Early 80's riding down the strip on Ft Lauderdale Beach at spring break, high noon on a Saturday in a Triumph TR7 driven by a co-worker. On the radio comes Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds Of Silence. He reaches over and spins the knob to another channel as fast as he can commenting under his breath "I hate that sh*t!". In milliseconds we're listening to The B-52's Rock Lobster and he's happy. I'm thinking doosh but, hey, it's his car (a car for dooshes) so I try to smile away the agonizing lyrics, melody and thoughts that people actually liked that tripe.

So, you see, it isn't just a simple matter of brushing off your own psyche and patronizing what you do like. It's more like war. I say kill'm all and their music will go away.

http://i.imgur.com/FLLuL.gif

bluesjunior

Mayer writes good songs for an audience sporting a very low bar.
So people who are hugely popular and sell millions of songs are low bar songwriters?.
On the comparison side of the observation, why do I not want to be perceived as being a facsimile of (named) highly respected artist? Who would want that hung on them?
I've never wanted to be "like" someone. What's to gain by that? I started writing many years ago and the purpose is to gain a unique identity, not the opposite.
I appreciate your need to be unique but let us know of some of your high bar songs that have been popular, maybe you're setting the bar too high for your talent?.
I think kids learning how to play have the wood for their heros. Gotta get passed that
I think their are certainly unknowns who harbour resentment towards successful people whose talent they in their delusion believe to be inferior to their own.

Marc Roy

So people who are hugely popular and sell millions of songs are low bar songwriters?.

I appreciate your need to be unique but let us know of some of your high bar songs that have been popular, maybe you're setting the bar too high for your talent?.

I think their are certainly unknowns who harbour resentment towards successful people whose talent they in their delusion believe to be inferior to their own.
Completely agree.

WillisChill

See, I think Mayer has wicked chops. One of my favorite live albums is 'TRY!' John Mayer Trio (himself, Steve Jodan, and Pino). The reason I like him so much is mainly because he was able to bring blues/rock to the mainstream in a time where it wasn't really popular (in the mainstream). It took me a while to get into his music but eventually he became one of my favorite players of the 2000s. I've seen some of his interviews and he's pretty smart, inspiring, and funny. I think he could easily go down in history as a guitar legend.

catpeople

Funny how everyone is all "no, I like originals" yet 99% of the music TGPers listen to is Clapton, ABB, the Dead, Zeppelin, Hendrix and Skynyrd. Sometimes Jeff Beck when they're feeling adventurous. One has to conclude everyone prefers an original but they haven't heard one since the Carter administration.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom