Does a nicer, Blues Jr-esque clone exist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Prince, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I'm thinking about getting a new amp this year. I like my Vox AC4 for home playing/Vox tones, but want something in the Fender camp with a little more umph. My mom's partner has a BillM mods NOS Tweed Blues Jr. with a Texas Heat speaker in it, and I really dig this lil bugger.

So what I am looking for is something with the following features:
    -combo
    -circa 15watts.
    -TMB tone stack (tho I could live with TB)
    -Master volume
    -footswitchable spring reverb
    -12in speaker
    -decent clean headroom to be used as a pedal platform
    -preferably under $1,000

So, are there Blues Jr-esque combo clones out there? or amps with these features? (preferably under $1,000 (used)). Or am I basically looking to just upgrade to a Peavey Classic 30, Vox AC15, or PRRI/DRRI (65-68)? Master volume, 12in speaker, and footswitchable spring reverb would be my greatest preferences. Thanks y'all!

I think I am most likely just going to go with a Princeton or Deluxe, but would like something with a Master...

2. Mike H

Mike H Member

A Dr Z Maz 18 is what you are describing. You might get a used one for under $1K if you shop around. Most of them are selling for $1000 to $1500.

A Peavey Classic 30 is a way less expensive option, but lacks a master volume.

3. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

Could get a Princeton or deluxe and have it modded with a master volume

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Goodsell Super 17 Mk III. Buy a blackline version used and you can get it at or right around $1k.

5. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

6. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I like your handle Phriend ;)

Doesn't hurt that Goodsell is out of ATL and about 3mi from my house! I'm highly interested in the Super 17 and it's currently my #1 contender for when I have the skrill to pony up for a proper boutique amp.

The Maz 18 has been on my GAS list since I first played one about a year ago. If I could mod it for foot switchable reverb it'll likely be perfect for me.

But overall I was just curious if there was something in the mid-tier, above the Blues Jr. But not in the boutique $2k range.

I'll prob just say screw master volume and get a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb. Hopefully the noise/hiss/hum issues on the 68 Deluxe will be sorted out over the next few months cause reverb/trem on both channels and the ability to run it with an ABY box for a slightly dirty custom channel and a clean classic channel is enticing.

7. TheHeavy

TheHeavy Member

valvetech hayseeds are under 1500 new, i just got mine without verb for 700. if you like the voxy thing

8. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

The Dr Z Maz Jr is a great suggestion and meets all the OP's criteria. I wouldn't consider it a clone of the Blues Jr, however. The Blues Jr is more like a Honda Civic compared to the Maz Jr (Maserati?).

Also, one thing to consider is that the Maz Jr combo will be bigger and heavier than the BJ but it's definitely worth it.

9. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Member

I second the Goodsell Super 17 Mk3 suggestion. I have one, as well as a cream board Blues Jr. The Jr is good (I've gigged it plenty, and it's my backup now) but the Goodsell is unreal -- simple controls but a complex sound. Awesome trem and rich, but subtle reverb. It's slightly bigger than the Jr, but also lighter!

10. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

See if you can hunt down a Fender CS Two Tone amp. It IS a US made Blues Jr chassis in a larger cabinet with both a 10" and 12" speaker in it. It takes away all the boxiness that is often complained about with the BJr and it looks pretty nice too. I have seen them used for $750/800 or so. They are a bit on the rare side though.

If you can't find one of those, maybe look at the 68 Custom line. I also would love to check out the Goodsell Super 17 someday myself. I owned a Maz Jr and I will say they are probably one of the loudest 18 watt amps I've ever played.

11. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Used Allen Accomplice or Allen SweetSpot?

Great sounding amps.

-bEn r.

12. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

+1 on the Maz 18. It's the amp that replaced my BJ about 13 year ago. I got the NR version and used a pedal for verb however.

13. csweldon

csweldon Member

If you don't mind solid state or projects, you could grab a 12" BJ cab, speaker of your choice and throw together an Award Session Blues Baby.

Or, you could grab a Chrome Dome Junior Deluxe either already completed for $995, or send him one and he'll mod it for $499.

A lot of good options out there :)

14. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

Id look at a used lone star special

15. V2

V2 Member

Check out the Allen Sweet Spot, which takes 6V6 tubes (for 18 watts) or 6L6 tubes (for 25 watts). A new fully assembled combo runs $1700, but you could get a 'bare bones' (i.e., no instructions) parts kit for less than $1200 (Allen routinely provides 10, 15, and 20% discounts for his kits). Of course there is also the used market.