Does a recessed trem affect tone?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Guitar James, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Hey guys!
    What are your thoughts on the tone differences between recessed and none recessed trems?
    Does the extra wood behind the bridge make a big tonal difference?
    Or if the bridge is floating anyway and not touching the body of the guitar will the recess change tone?

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

imo, not enough to make a difference.

3. sosomething

sosomething Member

Everything effects tone, to varied degrees. The extra wood behind the trem could potentially make a difference on a non-up-routed guitar, but after playing and owning a number of guitars with both types of routes, I've never been able to pick up any obvious traits associated to one or the other.

Personally I like my trems to float, but I'm anal enough not to like the way non-recessed floating trems have to "lean" forward to make that possible. It's a lot easier to keep the bridge parallel with the body AND get the action as low as possible with a floating, recessed trem.

4. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Yeah I know what you mean about the bridge leaning forward on the non recessed guitars, that always bugs me too.

5. sumis

sumis Member

apart from floyds, what kind of recessed bridges do you have on your guitars?

6. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

It was actually your Tornado guitars that got me thinking about this, I set my strats up (Suhr and Tyler) to be floating above the body, I really like the up pull for vibrato and pitch altering stuff. But after a while it got me thinking would it be better if I had a recessed guitar like the Tornado.
    I always remember EVH saying that he prefered the tone of a Floyd non-recessed, but that is obviously flush against the body. Possibly giving greater vibration into the body of the guitar.
    I am not disatisfied with my tone at the moment, I was just wondering about the differences. Because for my next purchase I am thinking about a Tornado.

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

That amount of routing is insignificant when compared to the excessive amount of routing needed for a fender/floyd like tremolo where you've already got a huge amount of routing on the back side of the guitar as well as routed clear through the body where the block goes through.

8. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

A related question.

Does the strings closer to the body effect the tone?

I say related because recessing the bridge allows the strings to be closer to the body. I'm sure a lot more vibration is induced into the body of the guitar through the bridge and neck, and most likely any effect strings have vibrating close to the body would be negledgable even if very close, but it would be interesting if anyone has researched the effects of this.