Does any company make a Twin Reverb kit amp worth pursuing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Madsman, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Madsman

Madsman Member

I think I want a Twin. Allen is really tempting, but I don't want a Super or a Deluxe or anything like that... I'm looking for a Twin specifically... I love 12" speakers, and want a loud clean amp if I go with a kit.

2. getbent

getbent Member

Man, I don't know... you can get sf twins for 650-750 around here everyday... if you recapped it and completely went through it you could be totally set for a lot less than what the kit would cost.... and I love building kit amps!

If you are going for a good blackface/sf twin... the Allen would be the highest quality kit though... you can't go wrong and David Allen seems like a righteous individual.

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

Yeah, I have definitely thought about that too.

I don't see a Twin kit on Allen's site (or I might have already ordered it.) No 2X12 combos, no 80 watters (iirc) even. Nothing wrong with what he's offering, but I do play with really loud drummers, and have the luxury of not having to play quietly at home or at rehearsal... so I am chasing that Twin tone. I may have to see if I can find a decent SF around Chicago that isn't way ridiculously overpriced... it's like if something's 20 years old (let alone 40) here the price is jacked, regardless of how extremely common these amps are.

4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I think Mojo has a Twin kit.

5. Madsman

Madsman Member

I just saw their high power Tweed Twin kit... Tweed tone is not at all what I'm after, but maybe that's the best option (so far) and just do the circuit as a blackface Twin.

Or buying an old SF Twin could be a better option.