Does anybody have a Marshall JMP-1 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MusicGearGuys, Aug 4, 2005.

1. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Does anybody have a Marshall JMP-1?
    Can you post some sound clips or tell me where to find some?
    Thanks,
    Gregory

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I dont have one but a buddy of mine does and its great. He uses it with a Marshall Stereo Tube Power Amp. I forget which one (the gold one). Its an awsome sounding rig. He plays it through two of those Marshall 2x12 Cabs.

That being said more times than not he dosnt use it cause its a pain to haul around and a lot of stuff to hook up. Most of the time you can catch him playing a DC-5 1x12 combo and no pedals.

That little preamp is awsome though. What would be really cool is to have a custom tube power amp made and a cab built to hold one rack space plus the amp and a set of speakers 2x12 and call it a combo. :D

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Had one years ago.
    My lasting impression- bright, sterile cleans and big warm fuzzies. The clean channels overdrive with great ugliness, the OD channels won't clean up with decent tone. Disappointing.

4. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Are you sure you played one????

5. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Here's a real old clip...
    EBMM Steve Morse-JMP1-VHT 2/90/2-VHT 4x12
    Miced with a 57 very poorly...LOL
    Please excuse the crappy playing....

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000141130_000011157_proj.mp3

This clip has alot of MP3 compression noise, so don't let that bother you. It was recorded into a $10 soundblaster card...

They sound amazing live.
    Most people don't even know how to setup a basic rack, so they get poor results using bad power amps and speakers etc...
    Hope this helps...
    Steve

6. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Steve LINY, Help a fellow LI'er out: what do you consider a good power amp and speakers?

7. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I use mine with VHT 2/90/2 power and VHT 4x12's..
    You're more than welcome to spin by my studio and try a bunch of different cabs and amps...
    Steve

8. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Thanks Steve, I saw pics of your rig somewhere and it is mighty nice.
    :dude

9. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Shoot me an email if you want to check it out...
    SteveVHT@aol.com

10. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Nice playing Steve.
    Anyboy else have any samples?

Gregory

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

As I remember, my results were similar.
    We will have to agree to disagree.
    Clearly, people can hear similar tones with vastly different expectations and perceptions. Vive la diff.

12. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I had one that I was running thru a GT Dual 75 (set up with El84s and 6550s) and a cab with a pair of original Naylor speakers and a pair of 70s "greenbacks". All in all it was a decent sounding rig, however in the end I sold it and went with the Sansamp PSA instead-the JMP1 sounded pretty Marshall even on the clean stuff and I wanted more variety...

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I agree wth Tone-Terrific.

Yes, I have played them through the 'correct' power amps and speakers (and with the JFX-1 too).

I found them very artificial-sounding - sterile cleans and smooth fuzzy compressed distortion. I'm not entirely surprised though since they aren't really a tube preamp, they're a digitally-controlled analog solid-state preamp using diode clipping for the distortion and a couple of tubes for a bit of flavor.

They are absolutely great if you want that late-80s rack-system rock/metal thing though. Two sides of the same coin - if that's the sound you want they're perfect... if you don't, they can't be made to sound very good for much else IMO.

15. kselbee

kselbee Member

No, but I've got an ADA-MP1 that SMOKES! But if you're not into the rack gear, then you won't like it.

16. loverocker

loverocker Member

I agree with the John and Tone Terrific. It does the higher gain Marshall sound really well, medium-gain (JTMish) not very well and the cleans are uninspiring. But I still have mine and always will keep one in a rack just for those easy high-gain tones.

John - you're spending far too much time here. ;)

17. jonnyflash

jonnyflash Guest

I've used the JMP-1,Tech21 PSA-1, Rockman XPR, ADA MP-1 and varius modded MP-1's. I honestly feel the JMP-1 was the weakest of them all, especially for distortion. I love Marshalls so of course I had to buy one of these and try it out. It seems even with the OD 1 & OD 2 cranked to 20 I wasn't satisfied, I like lots of " cream ". The clean channel was pretty good, but compared with the Rockman & MP-1, it was my 3rd choice. I am currently using a 3TM ADA MP-1, I have 2 of these, straight into my '79 Marshall JMP 100 watt head, into 1 or 2 Marshall 4X12 cabs. I have bought & sold SO many heads/combos the past 4 years and keep coming back to this setup. I love the clean of the MP-1 and you can go from the blues all the way to Megadeth/Metallica metal with the distortion. Playing in a cover/original band, I needed a variety of tones and being midi, it's all there at my feet. Of course this sis just my opinion, but my other guitarist uses the same setup and we are complimented all the time on our tone. Hope this helps you...

18. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Sounded good to me Steve:BEER

Actually, it sounds like a box full of Marshalls.

If you don't like Marshalls:eek: you probably won't like this.

I liked what I heard..............:dude

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I think those little buggers are great. To me they sound best through a Marshall all Tube Power Amp and into some Marshall Cabs. :)

20. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I absolutely LOVE my JMP1.. DOn't believe a bunch of us guys disagreeing on the internet. Try one.. They're cheap used, prevalent and if it works for you great.. I also absolutely love my ADa mp1's... The Vht Gp3 I had, I had mixed feelings about , as I did with my Egnater/ROcktron pre but I love these... Didn't like the ROckmaster that much ,and the Kasha Rockmod 2 was ok, but these are better (to me!) .. I have others too but have to go now .. lol

ERIC