1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Does anybody have any Blonde/Brown/Black face BASSMAN clips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, Oct 1, 2006.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Or do you know where to get some?

I am really curiouslike........

Anybody have the Allen-mod done to theirs?

Opinions in general of the Bassman?

I am thinking a Dr.Z 4-10. In blonde of course!

Tell me how you do??

Thanks,
    M.E.

2. AL30

AL30 Member

www.myspace.com/americansoundsyndicate

Most of the guitars on here are a Dearmond Starfire Special into a late '60's SF Twin and a LP Custom into an AA864 Bassman.

If you listen to the "Corpus Christi" intro - that's the LP Custom straight into the Bassman (2x8" cab).

Bassman's are great sounding amps, readily available, and not too expensive.

AL

3. dave s

dave s Member

Listen to some Brian Setzer Orchestra music. He plays blonde bassman rigs straight in, and with tape echo units. Pretty much what a bassman sounds like to my ears.

dave

4. doctorx

doctorx Member

This song was recorded with two SF Bassman tops in stereo running through a 4x10 stereo cabinet. I ran a Boss stereo chorus and stomped on a Boss SD-1 in the lead solo and on through to the end.

The Bassmans have been modded to BF specs, and I think I was running JJ tubes at the time.

5. michael.e

Damn my friend! Your playing is nice and tight. Very well executed!

I am generally not a fan of that much chorus, but the tonal quality of the amp shines through. So there was just a chorus and SD-1?
    Very nice! That has got me excited.

M.E.

6. michael.e

I love your band! The sense of wit is excellent! "Corpus Christi" has got to be my new favorite take on "Cannon" that I have heard in years! Excellent job. The amp sounds great. I am going to bookmark your site.

M.E.

7. AL30

AL30 Member

Wow !! I'm speechless

Thank you

AL

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for your kind words. Yah, a chorus and SD-1, which is at the beginning of the lead then I shut it off in the middle, then on again just before the vocals come back. That's a Strat, BTW.

I am a big fan of stereo chorus, it's much different than running a mono chorus through a mono amp.

It also helps to dime the amps, haha: volume=10, treble=6-7, bass=2. Silverface Bassman tops are plentiful, you see them all the time on Ebay. Get yourself one. They are easy to blackface.

That song was a one take wonder. I had a couple of friends over to jam and it's the only time we ever played it. I couldn't sing it and we recorded just the instruments, then I had my friend Karen add the vocal a couple of months later.

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

AL30, great guitar tones there!!!

10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Hey Michael , I did some quick sound clips of the Blonde Allen modded Bassman. I recorded the short clips with a Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic and I ran the head into an open back cab loaded with an Eminence 12" Governor.All clips which are designated neck were the Anderson stacked single coils. The bridge is the Anderson humbucker.Here's the link to my sons soundclick page where the clips are located.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=453803

11. michael.e

Thank you sir! Got your email and I will go and check them out!

M.E.

12. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

No clips (need to do that one of these days) but I can tell you that with some very simple mods to the bass channel (basically cutting some of the lower bass frequencies out) it has the most amazing thick classic distortion of almost any amp that I have ever heard. My amp tech, who has definitely played his share of amps, has raved about it. Its one that I will never sell.

13. AL30

AL30 Member

doctorx,

Thanks man. Much appreciated. Always nice to get a compliment from another musician - other than the standard drunk guy comment "I like your band your singer is hot". I just had a chance to listen to your song so allow me to return the compliment. Real nice work and great sound. Clean w/ just enough hair on it. Smooth lead work too. Is that a strat? I think I hear single coils.

Texsunburst59, don't wanna leave you out either. Some tasty playing. That tweed/bridge has a nice full sound to it. Great playing too.

I think you guys just outclassed me in the lead department. :AOK

Another great thing about the Bassman is it's got 3 knobs. It's almost idiot proof. Plug n' play. It takes a lot of work to get a bad sound out of a Bassman - although I've heard a few who are adept at it - for the most part some good tones are right there.

AL

14. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Thanks AL30, I checked out your myspace and you guys have a good band. The guitar tones are sweet,nice crunchy tone. It doesn't hurt if your playing through a Bassman huh? It really helps the playing when your inspired by the amp.:D

15. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

Here's one from my band's new CD. The rhythm track is my RI LP Custom straight into a blonde '63 Bassman w/ two Weber C12N's. Volume was on about 8. The slide stuff used the same amp and setting but with a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive pushing the front end a little bit.

http://www.catfishflats.com/Sounds/Album/Cajun Rain.mp3

16. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

DocX-

That is awesome. I love that tone!!!!! What type strat were you using and what pickup & pickup position? I am trying to figure out how to downlad that so I can keep it.

17. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I'm confused. What do vintage Bassmans have to do with a Dr Z?

18. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Mike-

Could you email me a clip. I'm seriously wanting a bassman after hearing all these.

19. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

I've been really interested in getting a silverface bassman and having it modded, somebody up there just talked about some slight modding and some of the best rock tone you'll ever hear.
    any reccomendations on who does some good modding?

20. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

Same here. Can a Silver be modded to Blonde specs?