Does anybody have the Fender '65 PRRI and the 68 custom princeton?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by still.ill, Apr 29, 2016.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

I just got a '68 Princeton Custom Reverb because I heard it takes drive pedals better, and it does a pretty good job with a Direct Drive even at low volumes:

but can't help wonder about the '65. Did anybody who had both keep both? it Seems like usually most people prefer one or the other.

Does the 65 not take drive pedals well or something because its too bright?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. 64 Tele

64 Tele Member

I had an original 1964 BF Princeton Reverb that I'd sold in 2002. A few months back, I looked at either the '65 PR RI or the 68 Custom PR.
    I took my main electric and spent about an hour with it/my pedal board and A/B'ing both amps. I went in "thinking" I'd end up choosing the '65 PR RI,
    but ended up taking the 68 Custom home.
    The 68 just sounded bigger than the '65 RI. Could have been speaker differences, tone stack?? I don't know. It seemed like both seemed to
    take pedals fine.

3. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

That sounds great. Thinking about which to get myself. What's the clean sound like on the 68?

4. still.ill

still.ill Member

Thanks. I actually can't say myself now because I sold the Princeton 68. I didn't like how the treble and bass knobs didn't really make much difference to the tone, and the clean was a little too warm for my liking. The volume taper also annoyed me, it went from whisper quiet at 1 to full on volume at 2.

I used the money from the sale to buy a bassbreaker 15 which i received today, which is a superior amp in almost every way (it's just 6 pounds heavier, but it does have a 12 inch speaker vs a 10)

- Superior volume taper, especially on the low/medium setting.

-Cleans can be brighter or warmer than the 68 princeton, there is a bright switch and the treble/mid/bass knobs make huge changes in tone.

-My drive pedals sound even better through it as well. Actually you wouldn't even need a drive pedal with this amp cause the preamp gain on it is actually pretty good, even at low volumes.

I basically downgraded in terms of price from a Mini Rectifier+ 1x12 Mini Rec Slant Cab
    (didn't like that at all)
    to the 68 custom princeton(which was better, but still not really what I wanted)....

to the BassBreaker 15 Combo---- this amp is seriously a steal for the price imo. I don't even think I'll bother with trying out a 65' princeton. I lost some money on this first tube amp journey but learned a lot of stuff--- namely more expensive stuff is sometimes more expensive just because of the name, the '68 Princeton is way overpriced as to what it is.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  5. Last

Last Member

The Bassbreakers are supposed to be awesome indeed.

6. vashondan

Fascinating. I have a Bassbreaker 007 coming on Friday. If I like it as much as you do maybe I'll upgrade to the 15 instead of getting the Princeton. The 65 clean tone is a little too much like my carvin which put me off. The 68 is a little "darker"? and I couldn't tell from the videos whether I'd like it's clean sounds as almost every demo focussed more on the breakup, reverb and tremolo. The journey continues. Glad you like the BB. Haven't heard anything bad yet about it.

7. vashondan

Hey, wondering, how does the BB15 work in the edge of breakup range?

8. still.ill

still.ill Member

haha yeah that's pretty much what it does best

9. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Dude, you just returned a Mesa and now have ants in your pants again! You are going to get talked into a BB. That is some serious GAS, son.

Btw how are you recording? Lots of string noise. Nonetheless, I dig the changes. Hope you can hear how it begs for a nice vocal. Nice writing.

10. still.ill

still.ill Member

haha dude I went one further and sold the '68 and got a BassBreaker 15, but this amp I'm actually fully happy with. 3rd times the charm I guess.

Both the '68 princeton and Mini-Rec didn't really sound any better than my Mustang II, whereas the BassBreaker sounds better than the Mustang at all volumes, and the treble/mid/bass knobs actually have a really wide sweep. I remember twiddling the knobs on the Princeton and wondering why it sounded almost the same with Bass on 10 and Bass on 0.

As for how I'm recording, I just put a Zoom H2 right next to the amp. I'm playing at a pretty low volume so thats why there is string noise.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  11. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Well some might say user error.

But enjoy.

12. vashondan

Point taken! I think I've only heard one demo where it wasn't all crunch and overdrive. Hadn't really heard the clean clean or on the edge. Now that Still.lll has me absorbing his GAS my head is turning from the Princeton to the BB. It had only been about an hour or so since I had decided on the Princeton when he posted. GAS, nothing like it!