Does anybody here own just ONE electric guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auffredou, Feb 20, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

Just curious. Sometimes I feel like Im the only "serious" player in the world that only has one electric.

2. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

At the moment, I have one at home and one in the office.

I could get by with just one, though. Ideally, I'd probably have three (es-135, strat, rick)... strat gas is weird owning a tele.

I'm not "serious" though.. just a hobbyist.

3. Boomer

Boomer Member

I only own one guitar. I do have two basses. Am I still a one guitar owner?

4. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

Just one more

6. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I wish I could say I owned just one. How cool that would be.
    Many advantages there.
    Be proud. You have a definite right to that.
    If you really love the guitar, you're doubly blessed.

Of course there are some cool reasons to own more than one -- enough to sustain many, many of these discussion rooms.

I wouldn't want to be without my classical guitars. One is my favorite. And I really like having both a Strat and a Tele -- although I could do fine with just a tele or a strat. (Would prefer the Tele at this point.)

But I am digressing. Ultimately, less may be more. Maybe even the most.

Thinking of the popularity of Teles. Even Esquires. The poor slab of a guitar that people at the first NAMM show called a boat paddle and a high school shop project***.

I think these guitars are so popular today because they are humble, spare, like Shaker furniture.

***Alluding to a line from a great book called Electric Guitars and Basses, A Photographic History, by George Gruhn and Walter Carter copyright 1994. An excellent book I found in the local library.

7. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Can you please explain the comment, "Strat gas is weird owning a tele." I don't get your meaning. Thank you.

8. cber1517

cber1517 Member

One guitar for me too! My Fender Showmaster is a set-neck guitar with three tappable pickups - SD Cool Rails in the neck and mid position and a Hot Rails in the bridge. I have every conceivable tone I need with one guitar.

:RoCkIn

9. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

One for me, my Monty Les Paul replica. I have a partsostrat in process though, so I guess it's 1.5 now?

10. auffredou

auffredou Member

well, i put "serious" in quotes for that reason. i played with bands and record occasionaly and what not, but im no touring musician.

and yes, i own two acoustics. im just talking about electrics.

11. jryan

jryan Member

Just one here...electric anyhow, and 1 acoustic hunk of junk.
    Washburn HB35 Semihollow..but if I could afford it right now, I'd swap for a nice Ibanez AS-200 Artist in a second..and I'd be plenty happy with that 1 :)

12. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

Just means that I've been GASing for a strat lately, which is weird since I've been mostly a tele guy for the past several years:cool:

13. southpawmax

southpawmax Member

14. pedalbored

pedalbored Member

Just one guitar for me, a '91 Les Paul Studio with Seymore Duncans. Ebony fingerboard, carved maple top, to me a perfect axe. I'm playing country and classic rock, so it fits the bill . I gig every Friday and Sat night, and it's nice to carry the guitar in one hand, the amp in the other and a gig bag over the shoulder.

15. Miles

Miles Member

Well, I have 2, but I only use 1.

Does that count?

Seriously, I gig, rehearse, and practice one guitar. Of all the nice high end stuff out at Wildwood guitars, I came home last year with a Fender American Ash tele with a maple board.

I put new pickups in it, but it was the most comfortable guitar I played and I had a $2,000 budget that day. I saved $1,000 and I have been playing that guitar so much, that I have sold my 3 other guitars since then.

So, to the gig, I bring one guitar and a peg winder in case I snap a string (which happens once every ice age...knock on wood), and I keep my other electric at home for recording or other rare uses.

That guitar happens to be a very plain jane PRS Satin Soapbar singlecut with Lollar P-90s in it. Yeah, another sensational guitar, but I don't bond with it the way I do my Telecaster.

So, overall I pretty much use just one.

HOWEVER, owning only 1 amp is something I'll never do unless I never gig out or jam with others.

A backup amp is a must for me.

Miles

16. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Stranger still considering the well-known fact that it's impossible to own just one Telecaster.
    ;)

17. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I now own 4 including and acoustic but during the 80's I only gigged 1 guitar. I'm heading back in that direction and have sold 5 of 9. I have the exact same tele that Miles described in his response and right now it is my main and usually only gigging guitar. I do sometimes gig my Les Paul but my Strat has sat virtually untouched for months. I like the idea of having one main instrument and maybe one spare. Kind of like the symphony violinist or cellist. You learn the feel and nuances of that instrument and it becomes like an extention of you. To each his own but I don't think owning just one guitar is weird at all.

18. jrw32

jrw32 Member

Just 1 electric here: PRS McCarty...fits all my needs/playing styles perfectly. Eventually I would like to add a Tele to the mix, some other PRSi, etc., but I don't see that happening anytime soon!

19. DavidH

DavidH Member

I've tried,but failed.Currently own three.I could happily live with two though,my jazzmaster and collings CL.I need a fender and a mahogany guitar to cover what i like to do.

20. supar6

supar6 Member

I tried as well but had no luck. I love all the guitars I own and to me they all have different characteristics. No one guitar to me will cut it. If we lived in "Guitar China" and could only have one... I'd first defect but if they caught me I guess I'd sit at home and happily play my Fender '62 AVRI... shedding a little tear every time I looked at the empty hooks on my wall. :(