Does anybody like the stock HRD Eminence Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MrSpud, Feb 14, 2012.

1. MrSpud

MrSpud Member

I like the sound of the stock Eminence speaker in my Hot Rod Deluxe at low volumes, but not so much when the amp is cranked. To me it gets thin and harsh as it's driven harder.

I see there are a lot of threads discussing the pros and cons of various replacement speakers, the Cannabis Rex being one frequently mentioned. Is there anyone that has tried other speakers but come back to the stock Eminence? If so, what did you try and why did you return to the stock speaker?

2. xtian

xtian Member

I do like the stock speaker. But I'm not the orig owner and I'm sure there's plenty of hours on this one.

3. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

I've owned 2 different Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxes over the years. Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker will smooth your tone out when your amp is overdriven.

Guitar George

4. televox

televox Member

I like the stock speaker in the Deluxe and I've also kept the stock eminence in my Pro Junior. I've played hundreds of gigs with both amps and don't have a problem with those speakers- too bright pull your treble and/or presence down to boomy pull the bass down, it's all in the eq. I think the issues with stock Fender speakers are over exaggerated.

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

When I had my Hod Rod Deville, I changed the speakers out to Vintage 30's. The gain whether with pedals or the amp channel improved a lot, but the clean suffered a bit. I actually preferred the stock speakers for clean.

That said I am not a fan of the stock speakers in HRD or HRDeville amps. That's not to say they are unusable, I just think there are better speakers out there. I would love to hear an EVM-12L in a HRD.

6. MrSpud

MrSpud Member

How does the Cannabis Rex handle the clean tone? Any sacrifice over the stock Eminence? I wouldn't want to compromise the Fender-vibe...