Does anybody (Loop-Master) make a looper with remote cabability?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Oct 23, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Scenario:

You want to use your amp's FX loop for just a couple of pedals (delay, reverb, chorus or trem, etc.). You don't want to run your signal through long send/return cables all the way to where you are standing, or to your upfront pedalboard. You want to keep the pedals on the floor near your amp (beside, behind, on top) or in a rack.

So you need a simple single true bypass looper that has a "remote" jack (either 1/4" or midi or both perhaps) instead of or in addition to the footswitch. It would still have your standard In/Out/Send/Return jacks as well. Then you could keep your FX loop "clean" or bypassed when no effects are wanted and your signal intact with short cable runs. A simple 1/4" to 1/4" cable could then be used in conjuction with the "remote" jack and another box like a mini latching amp channel switcher to control the loop back at your amp. This run of cable is auxillary and doesn't affect your signal at all, like your amp's contol function fotswitches.

Is this doable...anyone think this is a good idea or seen anything like this before?

2. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

Not sure if anyone is making anything like that - but you definately gave me something to think about!

3. jamison162

And put this on top of your amp with your FX Loop pedals only, and the looper:

[​IMG]

4. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

The way I understand it, you want a short cable from the FX Send, through the pedals, short cable back into the FX Return, with a remote switch out at the main pedal board that would activate the pedals - one switch for each pedal?

5. jamison162

I dunno, the more I think about it, the less simple it is.

6. jamison162

No, one switch for the loop that the pedals are in. Just like your standard True Bypass Loop.

FX Send > Input of Looper
    Looper Send > Pedals > Looper Return
    Output of Looper > FX Return

And you would control the Looper on/off via remote switcher at your pedalboard, just like you control your amp functions.

7. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

So just one switch to activate the entire FX loop board?

8. jamison162

Yep, you would have to control seperate pedals. If you have a loop for each pedal, like in a strip, you couldn't control each loop remotely, unless you ran midi or some other means, just for the number of runs. Ooh, how about Cat5E, that would do it, well that's only 8. Anything that gave you enough wires/conductors to make it happen.

9. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

obvious a bit over the top for one switch...but there's that new Voodoo bypass/Commander set up where you control the loops through midi.

or a number of other options for midi/multiple loop set ups...

Again...all over the top for what you are talking about- one loop.

10. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

Definitely doable. You could design it as a single stomp remote that activated the entire FX loop and you had to manually walk back and turn on/off individual pedals, or put in a 4 switch floor unit that would allow you to remotely turn on/off each pedal in the FX Loop.

Might get cost prohibitive – like the Gig-Rig though. What about the Voodoo Pedals?
    *puddinstone beat me to it*

11. jamison162

Nevermind, it's complicated and would involve relays and such. Your signal does travel through the switch so it would travel through the cable linking the looper and controller, comprimising your tone.

Back to the drawing board. The switching has to take place in the looper, just controlling it from remote is key.

12. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

Relay switching would leave the audio signal at the pedal and looper - the only thing running to the remote control switch is power.

13. jamison162

Yeah, I know about all of that stuff and I have owned a Musicom. None of those will do what I'm talking about doing. It's not about programming multiple patches, stomps, it's about controlling your FX loop On/off basically from where you are up front, while keeping your FX loop signal run right there at the amp, as short as possible.

For practical purposes, there are amps that have a footswitch for turning the FX loop on/off. Maybe it would be easier to have my amp modded as such.

14. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

Dan at the GigRig is bringing out a Remote Looper just as you describe in the next week or so. Perhaps he'll chime in here?

15. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Three options:

Lyle at psionic audio has the simplest and cheapest.. a relay that can be remote triggered by any latching switch. Good luck getting in touch with him.

Lehle switchers can be remotely controlled by either another lehle with SGOS or a midi unit.

The Voodoo labs pedal switcher with midi controller would work, but be more cumbersome and expensive than you'd likely want.

16. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

I'd suggest this... Get a midi controller of some sort. Your MusicomLab would've worked. Something that sends a midi signal. Then use a standard midi cable to control an Axess Electronics GRX4 and put up to 4 different effects in the loops. Plug the FX send into the input of the GRX4 and the out back to the FX return. If you still had the MusicomLab, you could use those 8 loops to the front end of the amp and send a midi signal to control the 4 loops of the GRX4 for the FX loop.

http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/GRX4-Guitar-Router-Switcher-p-16135.html

17. Sherwood

Sherwood Member

Take a look at the Laney Babel Switch... if you can find one!

It's a very lightweight and small one space rack unit that was designed to do just that for one of their amps, the VC100 I guess..

Works at line level on an amp's fx loop, so it sounds horrible in front of an amp (it is designed to sound good on an amp's fx loop). It has two programmable loops (but you could use only one if you prefer) and it still allows you to select and store any combination of up to 4 external relay switching functions (to change amp channels) with any of the 2 loops status combinations. It is midi switchable and you can use a super-simple midi controller unit like the tiny Tech 21 midi mouse to turn it on-off and even change your amp's channels at the same time.

I have one sitting on my rack for 10 years, used it only once with my Fender Tone Master head to put a delay and chorus pedal on it's loop (sitting atop my amp with short patch cables). I had a Mesa V Twin pedal back then and with one single stomp on my midi controller I had the Babel Switch changing Mesa V Twin pedal channel/bypass (wich is externally switchable) + amp's channel + pedals on the loop on whatever combination I needed. Clever unit.

Don't know if that's exactly what you need, but it certainly does the trick.

18. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

There are units like the Digital Music GCX, Rocktron Patchmate, SwitchBlade and Custom Audio stuff if you want a rack unit. I suggested the GRX4 because it's compact and has just 4 loops.

19. Sherwood

Sherwood Member

Axess GRX4 is an excellent unit (I have one) but I think it is designed to work at an amps front end. I never used mine into an fx loop but I think you *may* have level and impedance matching problems putting it on an amp's fx loop because it's designed to work at pedal level (-10db) and this *could* kill your tone if your amp's loop work on the typical +4db. I don't know what's your amp's loop impedance requirements, so I cannot guarantee the GRX4 would work - excellent unit though.

Please note that I'm not an expert, this is just what I think and learned from trial and error. Axess have an excellent customer support service, drop them an email.

20. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

I have never had enough interest on this end for remote loopers for me to take time out to design something.

I do believe Analogman makes these though. Maybe he will chime in.