Does anyone carry their Les Paul in a gig bag?

BadAssBill

I'm begining to think cases are a pain to carry with. I want to put one in a gig back to put over my shoulder...but that neck just concerns me. Had/does anyone do this or are there any horror stories?

Thanks!

Bankston

No way I would do that. You're just asking for a snapped headstock. And believe me, it doesn't take much of an impact.

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
no, I did it once and it just didnt feel right.... all my boltons go in a gigbag though

Rob Sharer

Muso-Luthier
No way I would do that. You're just asking for a snapped headstock. And believe me, it doesn't take much of an impact.

+1 on that. I've made bank on fixing gigbag accidents over the years, none of which seem to happen to Fender-style guitars, if you catch my drift. A gigbag can easily get squeezed between two other cases, an amp and a wall, or any two reasonably solid objects, with predictable results. Don't do it!

Rob

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
Looking at a Les Paul wrong is enough to snap its headstock. I wouldn't put one in a gig bag.

Cpt. Picard

A guitarist bud of mine did this for a while with his LP.

This LP no longer functions as a guitar.

He now uses cases ONLY.

[/thread]

Polynitro

I used to carry my SG in a gig bag until I came home after a gig and found the headstock broken off. Not sure when it happened it was fine when I gave it to the bassplayer who took it to our flat. I didn't notice till the next day.

I wouldn't chance it.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Not worth the risk at all. I did it once and it didn't feel right when I was zipping it up.

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
I repair guitars for a living.

I also highly endorse carrying Les Pauls in gig bags. It's a good thing. More people should do it.

buddastrat

No way! I don't use gig bags for anything, let alone a fragile Gibson! that's just asking for it. For strats/teles I don't use anything unless it's raining hard.

But for a gig, I'd use a case too easy, and safer. Gig bags are useless to me.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Gig bags & Les Pauls are not a good combination.
Agreed, but I've done it.

Rather than check my Les Paul I threw it in a gig bag and brought it onboard when flying. Risky, but it worked out fine.

In a pinch, if you're super vigilant you can pull it off, but I wouldn't consider it on a regular basis. Be sure to loosen the strings.

If I am the only person who will handle the gtr in transport, I will use a gig bag for my LP, SG, or Firebird. I gave up the weight and bulk of hsc's long ago, and have never had a mishap. I am a nearly anal, highly conscientious gtr transporter, and am careful not to place the gigbagged gtr in any jeopardy. If you don't mind the weight, a good case cover (I like small dog) gives your hard cased LP the shoulder strap convenience of a gigbag.
My own scientifically conducted, clinical research shows that full-time players will gigbag anything, and it's the hobbyist/part-timers who have an anvil case for their tele (or similar bullet-proof ax).

UMT

I used cases for over 22 years until I was given a Fender 'gig bag' to carry my new Tele HH home in. I suddenly realized that I took much better care of my guitar when it was in a back. In a case, ah, just throw it in the back. Throw it in the truck. etc... How did that hard case get all those scratches/dents in it anyway?

I'll never go back to a hardshell case unless I need one for airplane flights or some other sort of shipping situation.

screamtone

Gold Supporting Member
I personally have cracked (not snapped) the headstock of a Les Paul while it was in a gig bag.

cjcayea

cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce
for the love of god, dont do that.

yikes, just gives me the chills

Trending Topics

Top Bottom