• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Does anyone carry their Les Paul in a gig bag?

BadAssBill

I'm begining to think cases are a pain to carry with. I want to put one in a gig back to put over my shoulder...but that neck just concerns me. Had/does anyone do this or are there any horror stories?

Thanks!

Bankston

No way I would do that. You're just asking for a snapped headstock. And believe me, it doesn't take much of an impact.

neastguy

no, I did it once and it just didnt feel right.... all my boltons go in a gigbag though

Rob Sharer

Muso-Luthier
No way I would do that. You're just asking for a snapped headstock. And believe me, it doesn't take much of an impact.
+1 on that. I've made bank on fixing gigbag accidents over the years, none of which seem to happen to Fender-style guitars, if you catch my drift. A gigbag can easily get squeezed between two other cases, an amp and a wall, or any two reasonably solid objects, with predictable results. Don't do it!

Rob

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
Looking at a Les Paul wrong is enough to snap its headstock. I wouldn't put one in a gig bag.

Cpt. Picard

A guitarist bud of mine did this for a while with his LP.

This LP no longer functions as a guitar.

He now uses cases ONLY.

[/thread]

Polynitro

I used to carry my SG in a gig bag until I came home after a gig and found the headstock broken off. Not sure when it happened it was fine when I gave it to the bassplayer who took it to our flat. I didn't notice till the next day.

I wouldn't chance it.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
Not worth the risk at all. I did it once and it didn't feel right when I was zipping it up.

hogy

I repair guitars for a living.

I also highly endorse carrying Les Pauls in gig bags. It's a good thing. More people should do it.

buddastrat

No way! I don't use gig bags for anything, let alone a fragile Gibson! that's just asking for it. For strats/teles I don't use anything unless it's raining hard.

But for a gig, I'd use a case too easy, and safer. Gig bags are useless to me.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Gig bags & Les Pauls are not a good combination.
Agreed, but I've done it.

Rather than check my Les Paul I threw it in a gig bag and brought it onboard when flying. Risky, but it worked out fine.

In a pinch, if you're super vigilant you can pull it off, but I wouldn't consider it on a regular basis. Be sure to loosen the strings.

If I am the only person who will handle the gtr in transport, I will use a gig bag for my LP, SG, or Firebird. I gave up the weight and bulk of hsc's long ago, and have never had a mishap. I am a nearly anal, highly conscientious gtr transporter, and am careful not to place the gigbagged gtr in any jeopardy. If you don't mind the weight, a good case cover (I like small dog) gives your hard cased LP the shoulder strap convenience of a gigbag.
My own scientifically conducted, clinical research shows that full-time players will gigbag anything, and it's the hobbyist/part-timers who have an anvil case for their tele (or similar bullet-proof ax).

UMT

I used cases for over 22 years until I was given a Fender 'gig bag' to carry my new Tele HH home in. I suddenly realized that I took much better care of my guitar when it was in a back. In a case, ah, just throw it in the back. Throw it in the truck. etc... How did that hard case get all those scratches/dents in it anyway?

I'll never go back to a hardshell case unless I need one for airplane flights or some other sort of shipping situation.

screamtone

Silver Supporting Member
I personally have cracked (not snapped) the headstock of a Les Paul while it was in a gig bag.

cjcayea

cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce
for the love of god, dont do that.

yikes, just gives me the chills

Trending Topics