• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Does anyone change pick thickness when playing acoustic?

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I use the yellow Tortex picks on electric and the orange Tortex picks for acoustic. I don't like the sound of an acoustic played with stiff, heavy picks.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
Yep.
1.5mm Dunlop Gator on electric.
Yellow or orange Dunlop Tortex on acoustic.

Same reasons cited by others. The thinner pick emphasizes the percussiveness of strumming better, to my ears.

taez555

Dunlop Nylon 0.60mm for acoustic - gives much more life to the sound.

Jazz IIIs for electric though..

This is me. (Although I recently switched to the Jazz III XL's)

The thinner picks on acoustic add a lot of percussiveness that can sound great when playing rhythms.

Although if I'm playing more solo type that requires a pick, I may switch back to the sturdiness of the Jazz III's.

jbraun002

Same as most - lighter pick on acoustic for strumming.

For bluegrass flatpicking though? Give me a thick pick!

AudioEcstasy

I have to use a thinner pick for acoustic playing. I'm Dunlop Tortex, .73 for electric, .60 for acoustic. all day son. :dude

zumaboy

1 mm Tortex for electric, and a 2 - 2.5 mm casein pick from Papa's or John Pearse for acoustic.​

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
I like thick picks for both. Purple Tortex is usually as thin as I go. The shape is more important to me as I like a more rounded point for acoustic than I do on the electric.

Fu Schnickens

Nope. Green Tortex for all for me. Though I've noticed that for fast strumming a thinner pick sorta evens out the attack across the strings and seems a bit smoother. But simply altering the pick attack for acoustic gives the same results for me.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I started using a Dava Grip Tip pick for acoustic - you can vary the thickness performance of the pick by where you grip it - up high to the middle of the pick it's like a thin pick, great for acoustic strumming, but when you move your grip closer towards the tip, it will be more like a med. to thick pick for single note work. I found that I got used to adjusting where I held the pick in about an hour of messing around. I use the Delrin version of their Grip Pick.

Razorface

Yes I do. It makes a huge difference. (way more than all the minutia argued about here).

I like a medium pick or softer depending on the song. Though, I will use my normal thick pick I use for electrics to good result, when desired.

Skeet skeet!

I play a jazz 3 style pick on electric. I can use it on acoustic, but generally when i play acoustic i sing and flail on open chords so i prefer a regular sized pick.

For me, open chords and strumming is more about releasing and regripping the pick moreso than how i hit the strings, so a larger width pick gives me a larger margin of error, and ease of readjusting my pick attack.

The jazz3 style are 1mm and thats fine for the acoustic too though i usually use something just a bit smaller like 88s

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Yup - 2mm Stubbys for electric and mediums on acoustic. Strumming doesn't seem to sound right with a stubby.

(Don't go there - stop s******ing - you're disgusting... ;) )

edit - WOW - that line of asterisks is a word that means laughing under ones breath, but apparently it's taboo on TGP? Those auto filters really don't get context, do they...

It just censored the "nicker" part of "snickering?" Weird.

I've been switching picks a lot, lately, on both, but generally, I tend to go for heavier picks of brighter materials, for acoustic. Nothing lighter than a 1.14, for either, and usually a 1.5 or 2.0.

edit: It didn't censor that, at all, it turns out. I think I know what happened. The word is "snickering."

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom