Does anyone collect low-end guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Monkey23, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Monkey23

Monkey23 Member

...and when I say "low-end" I mean low priced, not low quality. And I'm not talking about Epiphones and Squiers really, but something a little more off the beaten path such as Hagstroms, Reverends, Eastwoods, etc.

I guess I'm just a little tired of hearing the usual:Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc. Make no mistake, I'm not knocking them. My main guitar (actually my only guitar) is a Gibson SG. It's just that I've become intrigued by some of these lesser known brands that may just offer great sound, playability, and looks to those of us on a lower income. I'm curious, has anyone has tried or own any guitars such as these? and also who am I leaving out?

2. japhy

japhy Member

Japanese Ibanez from the late '70s early '80s are great . (pre shred)

Some old Yamahas are nice too .

There are many , many , high quallity guitars out there , for low prices . And some people do collect them .

I have a friend that buys any Ibanez "artist" that he can find.

3. dallas

dallas Member

I heard Fernandez are great guitars. Never played one.

4. Doodad

Doodad Member

We have a thing for Danelectros. Just bought a 90s Hodad about 4 months ago. Glittertastic and sounds groovy.

5. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

I'm addicted to sub-£100 brand new guitars on e-Bay.

I have a Wesely Freeport (Tele Thinline/Les Paul hybrid) that cost me £46. this is me playing it...

[​IMG]

Welsey make some great bargain guitars.

Also, I recently bought a thing called a Mazeti, which is an absolutely brilliant Mosrite Ventures clone.

[​IMG]

What's next? Well, I quite fancy one of Wesley's Plexiglass Strats...

6. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

They are pretty good. As well as Tokai. I went through a period where I owned a bunch of lesser expensive guitars. (Fernandes, Tokai, MIM Strats, stuff like that) Though they are really good guitars and great bang for the buck, at the end of the day I would rather have one great guitar instead of 4 cheaper guitars. Quality of quantity in my opinion.

In other words instead of having four guitars worth $350 each, I'd rather have one $1400 guitar.

7. bek

bek Member

Although I love "quality" instruments (and I do own an Hamer), I also like having a few guitars around. Having a budget to deal with, I look for used, unusual instruments. Here's two I recommend:
    Lindert Skyliner (Company made quite a few instruments before going out of business. The US-made ones are very good.): [​IMG]
    Industrial (This one is the Classic Paul on his website [Industrialguitar.com]): [​IMG]
    It has a Fernandez neck, slim and fairly wide and flat. People rarely sell these and I got Very Lucky to get one used and pretty cheap.

8. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

I have several Peavey USA guitars.

I like Aria Pro II (only own 1 right now)

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Cheap guitars are great!

I've played a few Fernandes and really liked them, I bought a Hagstrom bass 10 years ago, and now my son plays it.

One guitar that is largely unmentioned is the Goya Rangemaster 12 thinline hollowbody. I have had two over the years. One was my first electric, and was stolen when I was 19 and in art school in Mexico.

I sold the other one in NYC during the 80's and have regretted it ever since.

stratzrus

10. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I have a Dano U2 RI, as well as an old Silvertone.

IMO, the Dano has one usable tone (the Silvertone maybe 2), but they are cool enough tones that can't be duplicated easily and worth keeping for what I paid for them.
    +1

I chased some Japanese guitars, but have sold all of them off except for one CIJ 72 Tele Thinline RI.

And I came to the same conclusion. They were fun to chase and play (and great values for the price), but at the end of the day I found that I preferred fewer guitars that fit my needs better, and it just so happened that those guitars were more expensive.

I have had the most difficulty bonding with almost all inexpensive guitar necks. Inevitably, they are simply too thin for my needs.

11. chetsmith

chetsmith Member

I agree.... even though I have a couple of incredible Japanese LesPauls theres something in me that would like to spend the money on a nice Gibson Historic and just have one guitar.

12. theraygun

theraygun Member

I use a Michael Kelly Patriot, which is a great Les Paul copy I picked up for $299. It's my only electric, and it's keeping me from being in a hurry to get anything else.

13. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Yeah, I've got a few...a very cool Del Rey(Teisco) Vox Phantom copy, A No-Name(Teisco made)greenburst, thin body violin shaped thingee & a (soo for sale) Hondo Longhorn W/ 31 frets, single hum W/ split, series/parallel, & phase switching & a built-in preamp to boot!
    Cool & quirky! & not to be contrary, but the Phantom copy has a neck like a Louisville Slugger! Makes a Beck Strat seem skinny!
    If you like 'em, buy 'em & enjoy 'em. Keep your eyes open at garage sales etc., as Ebay has driven the prices WAY up.
    Also check with Fatdawg @ Subway Guitars in CA.
    www.fatdawg.com
    Tony[​IMG]

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I love cheap guitars! I've got a Epi LP Jr that's really a nice little player, $85 + a GFS P90. It'll fool ya!

15. erksin

erksin Member

Just one so far - but it's pretty tough when you're a lefty...

[​IMG]

16. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I love low end BC Rich, although it seems they've discontinued it, the body art series in particular are great, they're cheesy but I think they're alot of fun and play really well and have a great crunchy tone. I also really like the acrylics, they're more expensive than the body arts and weigh a ton but I think they look really cool and sound really good, especially distorted to hell and back.

17. Monkey23

Monkey23 Member

Lovin' that Mazeti! Also that Wesley, Can you post a picture of the headstock?

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Collecting low end axes, what a cool concept - sorta like dabbling in penny stocks. You can enjoy all the manly hunting & conquering transactional fun at a fraction of the cost!

Many years ago, Guitar Player mag had a column by a guy with the psedonym Teisco Del Ray specifically for the guy to write about his never-ending hunt for the bottom dwellers of guitarland. It was a f- cool column!

19. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I have an '83 or '84 Vantage flying V copy with bolt on neck that some one gave to me recently. It is actually a very cool guitar if you are into stuff like that. This Japanese copy is built better and is just an all around better quality instrument than any of the junk you find in GC now-a-days by a long shot IMO.

20. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I love Dano's. I have a DC with a intonateable bridge, gotoh tuners and a bone nut, with a RW pup in the bridge so it's hum cancelling (in series) in the middle position. That is an amazing tone. It's a one trick pony, but it's a helluva trick :)

After the mods, I'm still only into it for about $400 (w/ a tweed hard case).

Very cool - jv