Does anyone do wax-potting on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingofrats, Jan 25, 2012.

1. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

Does anyone know of any winders/companies/aficionados that offer wax-potting for a reasonable price?

I have a firebird pickup I want to pot, and since I've never done this, I want to make sure I don't screw it up!

2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Are there any local repair shops near you?

3. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

Yes, but none of them offer wax-potting.

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Why do you want to have it potted? Is it squealing or something? None of the local shops here (I'm in Los Angeles) offer that service that I know of, probably because they don't want to be responsible for (possibly) damaging the clients pickup.

IMO wax potting kills the tone, but it's your pickup and your dime. Good luck.

5. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

Why would you want to? Do they squeal? Does the pups have covers on them?
    Wax potting loses tone and is done on hurry up massed produced pups, to keep them from squealing........and you MAY NEED to wax pot them BUT it might just be the covers are causing that and you can fix that a number of ways....no problem.
    None of my pups are wax potted.

6. chervokas

chervokas Member

I had a problematic Tele bridge pickup and I was able to do a decent light potting with one of these home hand wax spas from Bed Bath & Beyond and a mix of 80-20% parrafin and bee's wax (I had to get the bee's wax at a craft store). It's not real vacuum potting that permeates all the coils but it did the job and the big thing that causes squealing with a covered humbucker is usually the cover vibrating so that kind of light potting can do the trick (provided the bobbins used are up to the potting heat -- some are, some aren't; you'd need to figure that out). I like the hand spa device because it gets hot enough to melt the wax but then keeps the wax at a relatively low temp though I did keep a thermo handy to ensure that the wax stayed in the 150 degree range during the potting.

7. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

No offense but you do not need any wax to fix a cover problem.

8. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

9. chervokas

chervokas Member

True enough if its a cover problem removing the cover, and resoldering after attaching it with silicone adhesive can work. I dunno if that's the OP's problem but it may very well be. In my case I was potting a Tele bridge pickup, not a covered pickup w/ the spa wax bath.

10. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

I use an old small double boiler , hot plate and a candy therm. Most expensive part of it was the beeswax. I only wax squeealers. If theyre just on the edge of squeeeeal i may give them a short cook or leave it alone. The tone never changed from potting but the "on the edge of feedback" factor may disappear. Which sometimes can be really cool. Ive had great results from wax potting. Usually its an improvement and i can get more out of them.

John

11. chervokas

chervokas Member

12. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

Thanks, I'll look into Harmonic Design.

To answer a few questions... yes, the pickup does squeal at higher volume when using gain.

13. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

Do the pups have covers?

14. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

Yeah, its a firebird pickup, so it does have a cover...that I believe I'm not able to remove without damaging the pickup?

15. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

Take the pups out turn them over on a work bench and cut the solder tack with a knife, you can do it. Then go to office max and get some adhesive putty by 3M (It's made to attach snap shots on the wall) roll a small worm size piece and stick it under the cover.
    Could very well fix and no loss of tone!

16. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

Thats how Jim Wagner of WCR taught me.

17. anuthabubba

anuthabubba Member

I potted a couple covered humbuckers from my '96 Epi Dot to stop them from squealing at higher volumes. Used a hand wax spa from the physical therapy department. Just taped up everything I didn't want wax on and left the p'ups in there for a half hour. Removed the masking tape, wiped them off and reinstalled them. Worked out fine.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

care to share?