Does anyone else hate fender color-matched headstocks?

Strummerfan

I was responding to a thread on which fender colors go best with a rosewood fretboard and it got me thinking about their headstocks. I've never been able to bond with a Fender that had a painted headstock, even when I've otherwise liked the guitar. I remember the late 80's HM Strat. They were great guitars, but the painted headstock turned me off. They must have a fan base, they've been reissued. I hear vintage guys go on about color matched headstocks and I just don't see the attraction. What do you guys think?

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
No. I would prefer painted matching, or at least black headstocks. The only time I like a plain maple headstock is if it has either a vintage tint to the finish or has aged and yellowed naturally over time. I cannot stand the look of a plain “new” untinted headstock. It looks unfinished.

HERSCHEL

I prefer them. It's an added touch that makes the instrument look like more attention was paid to detail. The unfinished headstock is the main thing that makes many Fenders/bolt-ons look "cheap".

Trending Topics