Does anyone else know that a Helix/Axe Fx is complete overkill, yet buy it anyways?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rich2k4, May 8, 2016.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

I was trying out a Helix yesterday because I have been looking to move away from amplifiers and build myself a all in one recording/practice rig at home. I have been eyeing the Helix for a few months now and was excited to test it. It sounds great but something came over me while I was using it, and I kept asking myself if I was really going to use this unit to its full potential?

I tend to stick to a few basic sounds, clean, crunch and then an all out VH/Lynch/Vai style tone. Something like the Helix would probably be more than I would ever need, and it makes me hesitant to drop $1500 on it. I do however want the best possible tone and feel, and I need something that allows me to be super quiet yet retain the same tone.

Do you ever get the same feeling? Dropping $1500 on a piece of gear like this, knowing that it is complete overkill for your uses?

2. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Better too much than not enough.

imo. :)

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Yup. What makes it too much?

Is it the expense? Luxury goods are by definition "too much". That could also apply to most any guitar more costly than a used Squire Strat.

Is it the feature set? In that case, using a word processor is "too much" since you could use a plain text editor like Notepad (or a pencil).

4. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

If you only use a few sounds then yes, it would be overkill for you. However, in my case, I write music in a variety of styles and use a variety of effects, so I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus, since we're not all the same, having as much as possible means there's something for everybody.

mlavin00 and blackened302 like this.
  5. bloomz

bloomz Member

Speaking for myself, and I'll guess WAY more than half the people on this forum (maybe 90%?)

Practice would be more important than buying an expensive piece of gear like that.

So why do I keep buying more guitars?

Truth is, I'm trying to buy talent.

Don't look at me like I'm the only one either - lol

dbagchee, mikah912, they and 8 others like this.
  6. SteveO

SteveO Member

Units like Helix, Axe-FX, and Kemper are designed to accommodate as wide a demographic of players as possible, which is why there are so many amps and effects to choose from. Use what you need and don't worry about what you don't. A unit with just the amps and effects you would use wouldn't cost any less.

7. SteveO

SteveO Member

Important for what? We're making noises to entertain ourselves and others, not researching a cure for cancer.

bloomz likes this.
  8. bloomz

bloomz Member

You do have a good point there....
    So u think I need one?
    Please don't say yes.....

9. kidbs

kidbs Member

If you're going for just a few basic sounds but still care about quality, you should consider the Amplifire instead. The tones are on par with either of the other two modelers. You just lose some of the features that you sound like you don't even need.

yanakosk likes this.
  10. SteveO

SteveO Member

All any of us really needs is food and shelter-everything else in life is a bonus.

gabipe15, Gearzilla and aleclee like this.
  11. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Honestly for practice/recording at home you could easily use computer based stuff for a fraction of the cost. I got the Helix because I play live.

12. randombastage

randombastage Member

I've sold a couple AxeFx's, Pod HD500's and ElevenRacks because they were sitting idle for too long while I used other modelers and/or amps so they became money tied up in 'unnecessary' hardware only to buy the same thing again.
    The good thing about the better ones is you can buy and sell them used for relatively low net loss of funds.
    So, yea, I get what you mean....but it doesn't stop me from returning to the watering hole to fill up extra canteens.

13. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Well, that's what I did. I could've chosen something cheaper - more "fitting" for my "needs". But I just find that helix make want to play more, and when I'm playing, I'm having more fun than ever before with gear. I've stopped playing out. I have a couple of jams with some guys, but I bought helix because it makes it so much fun to play, and I really like the control it gives me compared to a computer setup. I like switching things with my feet.

And I honestly can't say I've used it to its fullest. I'm not even sure what that would imply. I just have fun, sometimes with clean(ish) sounds, sometimes with driven sounds.

I really love the fact that they included usb audio!

JohnnyAustin and Phnurt like this.
  14. MarkAlias

MarkAlias Member

Me, too, but I never knew that a Morgan AC20 would be my favorite one. Without the Kemper and it's (free) Rig Exchange, I probably never would have happened upon this amp even if I spent $150K and years on the search. Now I'm considering buying one! (It's more expensive than the Kemper, btw...)

The plethora of sounds available with these high-end tools aren't only useful for people who use lots of sounds. I've been playing for many years, vintage tube amps, etc., and have never had a sound this good. I haven't turned a knob in weeks.

KennyM and iim7V7I7 like this.
  15. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Funny thing about putting together an inspiring rig is that its...inspiring to play. Once I found the right system, I played a lot more with the expected effect on my performance. While folks might joke about trying to buy talent, it might actually be possible to buy a rig that inspires you to develop your talent.

16. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

For me, owning several high end amps & cabinets was overkill when I can get the same tone and way more with my kemper at a lower cost, less weight, more reliability, and fantastic tone at low/no volume when practicing through my IEMs at home.

gripweed and MIJLOVER like this.
  17. MarkAlias

MarkAlias Member

Great point, aleclee. Kind of like playing a great guitar vs. a cheapo with bad action.

Phnurt likes this.
  18. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

OP, have you looked at the Atomic Amplifire? Lots of great amp tones for only $600. More expensive is not always better. I dont look at gear purchases purely based on the sticker price. At the same time I am not going to nickel and dime myself and rock a cheapo Squier and a couple Donner pedals. For a while I was using a pedal rig and had a Dano transparent overdrive. It crapped out a few times, and I kept trying to fix it... After the 3rd or 4th time, I had enough with it and just bought a real Timmy pedal. On the flip side I had a Strymon Timeline and Eventide Space on my rig... but I found that I was only using a couple settings, and sold them to get a Supa Puss and a Stereo Wet, and it covered 90% of the same tones at a fraction of the price.

19. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

There isn't really much I couldn't do with HD 500 that I "needed" Helix for... but consider this...

...if it makes you play better because you enjoy it more, and you're not in debt because of it, why not!

Heck, I only use 2 or 3 amps in Helix, and probably ignore 75% of the FX models, but I use VERY full patches, with 2 or 3 signal chains at the same time, because I can...

20. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

Of course.

Most people are on TGP just to keep GAS alive... right?? :)

MIJLOVER likes this.