• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Does anyone else like running the tone on OD's all the way up?

gmason1998

The only time I don't have the tone all the way up is if there is too much white noise going on... anyone else do this?

Ryan84

When I play Marshall amps....

maybe

Orange too. They are both voiced dark.

But then again I'd probably just turn the treble on the amp way up over tone on OD all the way.

gmason1998

I keep all the knobs on my les paul all the way up. For most amps, I like to run the bass low and the highs and mids pretty high. I just love the wide open sound of the tone all the way up

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
Most of the dirt pedals I'm using have tone between 12 and 3 o'clock, but my amp is set with mids and highs fairly high, so it can get trebly, which leaves me able to better control tone with just the guitar.

Jonny D

The sweet spot on on of my overdrives is at about 4 o'clock (Barber Tone Pump EQ), but otherwise I tend to run then pretty close to 12 o'clock.

Agreed that I usually do the boosting of treble on the amp if it is needed.

Frosted Glass

Had to on a old orange FD2, but could never find the sweet spot. The last 5% of the throw ripped your eardrums apart

I keep all the knobs on my les paul all the way up. For most amps, I like to run the bass low and the highs and mids pretty high. I just love the wide open sound of the tone all the way up

Out of curiosity how long have you been playing? I don't mean to be rude or patronizing...it's just that I find that less experienced players tend to lean in a similar direction.

Personally I can't imagine a setting like that being easy on my ears, that's so much treble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToneGrail

My Barber BU and DD pedals seem to be voiced really dark compared to my other distortion pedals. Even when I have the tone maxed they're still too dark.

Sent from my A727 using Tapatalk

Mr. Limbic

I use fender amps and they are fairly bright so no, but if I am using my Fuzz I'll turn the tone knob up higher than normal do I have more control with my guitar controls, but for od and distortion I usuall keep them as neutral as I can, which usuall ends up being from 9-12 o'clock on my rigs. Witha les Paul and Marshall I can see why you might do it if you are striving for an open sound. What pedals are you using? That may have something to do with it as well...

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Conversely, I run mine almost all the way down, sometimes ALL the way down, and rarely get them above 10:00

I find hitting a V1 tube gain stage harder with an OD creates alot of upper-frequency harmonics, which are cool, in moderation....basically, ODs can be quite bright, especially if using them into an amp that is already breaking up.

Lullabies

depends what amp I am using I get close to full up and set my amps pretty warm usually. But with some brighter amps I set the tone/treble back to reduce fizz and adjust the amps EQ accordingly.

I set my amps warm and pedals brighter because I like my cleans very round and warm and I like my fuzz and distortion to be clear and articulate but also warm and I have found this EQ setup works well for me.

Top Bottom