Does anyone else realize how bad guitar music has become?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Vic Interceptor, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

In my lifetime, electric guitar dominated all forms of listenable music, and then it just ate itself. At some point the innovation and creative writing ceased and everybody seems to have gotten caught up in the sound they can make with pickups-pedals-amps and quit actually trying to make music.

And post let's say 1997ish music has just become such a corporate formulated McMusic that it's uninspiring and unlistenable.

So now I'm seeing a lot of interest in of all things, surf. Why or how is this? Simple - people are having to go back in time to find listenable, inspiring music.

The masses have already digested all the classic and southern rock they can, and blues... well, they've consumed blues 100 times over and will continue to. Country, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the same heroes from the 60s are still the heroes of today plus a scant few others that have been added over the years.. but Don Rich/James Burton are still just as focused on as the 3 Kings or Clapton.

So now it's surf. A genre forgotten and ignored for decades save for a minute in 1994 thanks to Tarantino. And now I see the blooz dads getting into surf because they finally accepted they will never be SRV I suppose.

Not sure what my point is, just thinking outloud about the motives and thought process of people who don't actually feel music, but have the urge to play with a guitar, not play guitar.

2. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

There is plenty of good, new guitar music around. The problem is you're most likely looking for it on the charts.

3. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

4. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

This. There is plenty of good guitar music out there, you just have to know where to look.

5. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

Yup, it's actually everywhere (there are tons of genres, including the ones I don't like) where there's new exciting stuff happening. However, for the most part, pop-music has move away from guitar-based instrumentation, which is fine by me.
    We've never had such easy access to music. If you can't find anything at least "new to you" that you like, it's definitely your own fault.

6. johnsav

johnsav Member

Metal has taken guitar playing to crazy new heights (and guttural new lows).
    There are guitar prodigies like Julian Lage and Guthrie Govan developing new forms of expression.
    Just because nobody is recreating what you think is good "listenable" rock doesn't mean guitar music has stopped evolving.

7. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I think you might be a little to close to the fire.
    Step back, take some time off for a bit. Sit some plays out.

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

ColoradoKT and derekd like this.
  9. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Generationally biased thread is generationally biased.

11. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

"You will never hear Surf Music again."

Jimi Hendrix, 1967.

12. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

First thing that came to mind...

L13, homeunit, Leader Desslok and 5 others like this.
  13. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Generationally biased threads were so much better when we were younger.

lenny1716, Imran5000, Tabor and 28 others like this.
  14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, except the oldsters then were telling us how bad our music sucked.

15. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

Home of Les Paul, Lambeau Field , Harley Davidson
    Guitar riff based Rock was the industry's cash cow for 4 to 5 decades and now it's not.

Mark 63, iBloke, WornFrets and 3 others like this.
  16. Strato62

Strato62 Member

at least "bloozdads" are enjoying playing the guitar and supporting the industry. What is wrong with that?

dalezjc, neville5000, pugnax and 9 others like this.
  17. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

If you're not finding quality guitar music out there then man, I feel sorry for you because I'm finding it daily.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  18. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Let's apply some math to this age old argument.

Hendrix was at his height in let's say 1967. That was 53 years ago. So expecting the young musicians of 2020 to still sound like the young musicians of 1967 is mathematically equivalent to, in 1967, suggesting that Hendrix should have been making music that sounded like 1914 Irving Berlin (look him up).

I very much suspect that in 1967, there were some old crab asses walking around complaining about Hendrix's music, and lamenting the decline in popularity of Irving Berlin's music. If you're nodding your head, and you remember this happening, congratulations, you've lived long enough to become the old crab ass.

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

The best guitarist I've ever heard is from now...

tl;dr
    [​IMG]

20. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I can’t keep up with it. In fact, it’s kinda making me depressed. There is SO MUCH music out there right now and some of these younger people like Yvette Young, Plini, Lisa X, etc., are approaching the guitar as if they never went through the typical process of learning Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin riffs and pentatonic scales. They are way beyond me.