Does anyone else use a 4x12 Cab for home practice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Yossi, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

I am beginning to wonder if my Germino Lead55LV into an Ultimate Attenuator into a Marshall 4x12 cab with greenback reissues is still not too much for home practice. I use a pedal board with a couple of OD pedals, etc. When I play through that rig, I am heard throughout the entire house.
    When I play with a Blueverb 1x12 combo, I get amazing sound and the house doesn't seem to hear me. I am not in a band so, I am wondering what I was thinking/feeling when I went for such a big rig to play at home.
    Does anyone else have such a big rig exclusively for home practice?

Unadan likes this.
  2. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

3. Marble

Marble Member

exclusively for home practice? yeah thats rediculous. Why do you even have it if you're not in a band? My guitar foil has his '71 Super & Avatar 4x12 w/ Greenbacks stacked to practice with at home, but that's his big stage rig...Its fun to play through it though at home. But gigs where the 4x12 are needed are not nearly as common as moderate sized gigs where the Super does just fine by itself, and then some.

Get a Champ or Princeton....

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

yep...me too. I dig a 4x12!

Unadan likes this.
  5. GASattack

GASattack Member

Once upon a time, this was my rig for practicing at home ... and my live rig .... Ive since went all the way down to single 12" combo's for home and live both, just to get the better cranked up tone!

[​IMG]

Unadan likes this.
  6. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

7. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Sometimes... depends on what amp I'm playing.

8. Yossi

Yossi Member

That's the answer!

I have a silverface princeton, and a tweed deluxe clone, and a blueverb, and a fuchs ods, and an Electic Lion.

The smaller amps all make a lot more sense. Even when I go out to jam, I am not going to carry the 4x12.

So it must be just for fun:aok

9. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Not to start the whole "do you need a 4x12 for gigging" thing again.... but if you have neighbors who wont complain and dont mind dragging the 4x12 in and out of the house...why not? THere is something to be said for being able to practice with what you gig with. I gig with a 4x12 but practice with a 1x12. And I use the 1x12 for smaller gigs.

Unadan likes this.
  10. Guitar_Dude

Guitar_Dude Member

I have 4 4x12 cabs. That's pretty much all I practice with.

11. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I do, but I am able to get very loud 24-7 at my place due to its location. I like to be able to feel it as well as hear it. I've been picking up some of the new 15 watt toaster sized amps from Vox, Orange, Marshall, ect and cranking them through a 4x12 really brings them to life.

12. markw1980

markw1980 Supporting Member

I exclusively practiced at home through 4x12s for many years. However, now that my wife, son, and I live in an apartment, sadly all of the 4x12s have gone away. :(

13. axelfoley

axelfoley Supporting Member

I do currently. I don't gig right now but I play with others regularly. I have been thinking about downsizing my cab for portability and to be able to crank the volume a little more.

But you just can't beat standing in front of a halfstack. It is awesome to feel the notes as well as you hear them.:agree

14. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I don't currently gig. I take my 4x12s on a Sunday drive just to shake the dust off... loudly. Mostly the 18 & 22w combos are my daily drivers.

Unadan likes this.
  15. Ironman

Ironman Member

I've got 3 4x12's at home that I use. They sound the best to me at all playing volumes. From bedroom to stage volumes nothing knocks like a 4x12.

16. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Agreed!!!! At home I have a bunch of 1X12's, a 2X12 and four 4X12s and I always go for the 4X12s as they just sound better. With any amp at any volume.

17. dughaze

dughaze Member

No. My biggest cab is a 2x12 and I usually use 1x12's for everything these days.

18. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I just came in the house and spotted this thread, LOL! I just finished practicing in the garage with my 4x12 Deizel cab that I just loaded some Scumback M75 65 watters into. Man, I love the way it sounds and feels...

19. KazJY

KazJY Member

I've got a JCM800 half stack that I use all the time (I am combo-less at the moment). I love it.

I AM thinking of getting a Champ or something just for late night practice or something though.

FWIW, I don't crank the half stack, and I think it's a bit much anyhow, like you, but man, it's fun.... I keep it at "shouting" levels or quieter most of the time if the drummer isn't over.

20. Wilbur

Wilbur Guest

I do sometimes, and without an attenuator. I don't even own an attenuator.