• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Does anyone else’s Guitar Center currently look like this?

CC Overdrive

Covid has nothing to do with it... Most music retailers reported record earnings in 2020. This is GC being run into the ground for the past 10+ years.
Covid has nothing to do with it? Right. That's what's held up my couch for months in Canada. Or my fridge sitting out in the Pacific. Or the total lack of bicycles, or dumbells, etc. Covid has everything to do with it, including people having extra money to basically wipe inventory off the shelves at your local GC.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
My local L&M has a solid inventory but things are moving fast and furious. Anything ordered is way late and delayed. Example...if you ordered and EVH Frankie relic, you are probably looking at more than a year and a half to 2 years at this point. The new Fender stuff will not likely be available up here until late August. A custom shop order? Good luck to you!

Toby Krebs

Everything is gone at the GC I teach at.The Gor Tex factory closed for months during Covid.Gor Tex is used to coat Elixir strings amongst 1,000 other products.My GC had no coated strings for 6 months or cables.
The guitars are sold the minute they are put out unless some folks come in and steal them.GC is on stable footing for the moment but stores will be closing.

rickcard71

Gold Supporting Member
Yep. I think GC is going away pretty soon.
100% incorrect. It is all due to COVID-19. The manufactures cannot make the stuff fast enough. I went to my local GC and they are empty too. The guy I know that manages it said that store had the best year ever. They can't keep the stock, it sells so fast and everything is back ordered.

Covid has nothing to do with it... Most music retailers reported record earnings in 2020. This is GC being run into the ground for the past 10+ years.
Doesn't make sense, see above. My local GC is always packed with people with no inventory. It is 100% COVID-19. The shops that make the guitars had to close down for a long time, now they are trying to catch up. I am not saying GC is not having problems, but they need inventory that they cannot get. If GC was in such bad shape they would have shut the doors.

nastynate

Yep. I was shocked at how bare it was after having not set foot in the store in nearly a year. My usual guy said it’s the busiest they’ve been in the last 6 years and that they can’t keep up with demand.

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
People stuck at home because of COVID buying every decent guitar. That’s why sellers on reverb are having a field day.

Last edited:

COYS

People keep repeating the same nonsense:

That GC is bankrupt - they aren’t. They emerged from bankruptcy about 6 months ago.

That this is because they “can’t pay their suppliers” - It’s not, they can, and that’s not how it works anyway.

GC is “getting ready to close stores” - nope

GC is going under for real this time - nope... it will be the 20th year running that the internet is wrong about GCs demise

Pyritez

So...smack dab in the middle of a worldwide pandemic still.... (Don't be duped into believing that its over yet, lol. It ain't.)

There must be a disconnect somewhere in this thread. Over the past year EVERYTHING has moved online. Or went bust. GC online has been pretty decent about having things in stock the entire time considering the worldwide supply chain disruptions this past year. Who goes to actual brick & mortar stores anymore? People who have already had Covid one would presume...the same ones that will be attending the first live concerts as things open up....to answer my own question, lol.

Literally, this past year has advanced things 10 years or more online. Complete State and Local governments have greatly expanded their online presence this past year so much so that in many places *everything* can be accomplished online. Everything. All services available completely online. It really is amazing, the progress in that regard this past year.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom