Does Anyone gig with a Fender Blues Jr. ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by p.snail, Aug 4, 2006.

1. p.snail

p.snail Member

Just curious. I'm on the fence with this one. I need a new amp. I finally sold my HR Deville and now I'm looking for it's replacement. The rooms we play in are small and we mic everything so gobs of power isn't an issue. It does have to perform at reasonable volumes and stay clean. I know 15 watters break up, but how do you like the cleans on your Blues JR. I was also contemplating an Orange Tiny Terror. THD is out of my budget unless anyone has one for sale for $500. My buddy is willing to sell me his silverface Bassman head and 2x15 cab. The cab will obviously end up in my basement, but would this head work well? I have lots of pedals so I do my damage on the floor. Channel switching is not needed. I can get the Blues JR at a great price, but I have no experience with this amp. If you do like the amp did you do any mods to improve the tone? Thanks

2. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Eh. They aren't hideous. We ended up having to use one for this live recording we made and it's the reason we can't really consider releasing any of the tracks. But the audience was happy.

3. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

I've used them for gigs & rehearsals w/ great results using my pedal board. but w/ a choice of that and a silver bassman (BF mod recommended).
    get a 1 x12" cab and you'll be able to rock any situation! :dude
    a little more $ spent. but vintage is the great option for sure!! :D
    I have a '66 bassman head that I run into a small 1 x 12" cab w/ a G12H, it's light and rocks hard. also great if there is a back-line of any kind @ the gig, you can plug it into whatever cab or combo (w/ a double female 1/4" adapter. switch-craft highly recommended. I leave mine attached to my speaker cable in the back of the head when not in use). grab a Tuki cover too to take care of your investment!

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've gigged with a BJ and it did fine mic'd for a larger venue and un-mic'd for smaller venues, but the boxiness of the tone at volume is pretty well documented (more to do with the cab than the amp I think). It can hang and has enough clean, but won't get you to tonal nirvana stock.

5. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Supporting Member

They'll gig just fine. I have 2 that I don't use live but our other guitarist used one last weekend... sounded better in the PA than the amp itself sounded. We we're all pleased.

6. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

done plenty of gigs with a pro jr, but mostly drummerless

with a drummer, kind of challenging headroom wise if you like cleans
    I've toyed with idea of gigging 2 of them, but never got to try

7. david henman

david henman Member

...tried for years, eventually gave up. great "concept", but...

get a traynor combo, either the ycv40wr, or ycv20 blue.

or, for a very toneful amp after a few upgrades, the peavey classic 30.

-dh

8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

yup

9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I've done dozens of gigs with a Blues Jr., mine happens to be an excellent sounding one, they do vary (go with JJ EL84s for the first big improvement)... mine has good clean tone and my usual gig setting is master volume wide open, Volume around 5 or so IIRC (10:00 -11:00), which is reasonably loud on mine, with the "Fat" switch always engaged.

10. DrSax

DrSax Member

yep, plenty of gigs with my Blues Jr. Best when mic'd.

11. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I did it once last summer and it did okay (un-miced). It didn't have the clean headroom to do what I really wanted it to do but it was okay other than that. Tone wise nothing to write home about but it did the job.

12. OOG

OOG Member

JJ Cale does

13. p.snail

p.snail Member

I tried out a Blues Jr. today. Very cool sounding amp. I see what everyone means about it being boxy sounding. It is kind of a small sounding amp by itself. I tried a Fender Super Sonic right next to it. That amp sounds like ass. I thought the Blue Jr had a sweeter tone to it than the SS. I'm kind of on the fence still with this amp, but am impressed. Do you like the way this amp takes pedals? Also, do you think running two of them would "open" the sound up a little more?

14. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've never run two together. I think much of the boxiness might have to do with the cab itself (cheap "wood", etc.). I'm considering dropping the amp into a new solid pine cab and seeing what it does. Or something like that. It does take pedals well, but the boxiness is always there.

15. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I had the same experience exactly. The Blues Jr sounded really good.
    Pumped the master and used the channel volume to tweak with.
    I was pleasantly surprized.
    The supersonic sounded like the biggest POS!!! I had the treble turned all the way down and it was still ice pick to the ears. Not what I had expected.

RC

16. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've been thinking of going to a Blues Junior, Crate Palomino V16, or a Vox AC-15. The problem is, I would really like to have a line out, so that I could chain another amp, if needed. I don't like to add more cables to my pedals, and split the signal from the guitar. I normally connect the line out, from my 60 watt amp, to the PA, just in case it's needed.

17. p.snail

p.snail Member

Who makes replacement cabs for the BJ? Can you get them in a 2x12?

18. silentstudios

silentstudios Member

I gig with it. Three piece blues band in a large open area with 200-300 people drinking a lot of overpriced draughts.

It is plenty loud without being miked and in the above scenerio I can crank the amp without hurting anyone's ears. One thing to remember is that even though it's 15 watts, it's only going to sound 3-4db quieter than a 150watter in the same setup.