Does Anyone Gig with the Blackstone OD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wopr, Jan 3, 2008.

1. wopr

wopr Member

I love the pedal when playing at home, but I am wondering how plays at gigs. I used it at a gig once, but I don't think I had it set up right.

Thanks,

steve

2. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

It plays well anywhere! When I travel light the Blackstone is one pedal that I take. With it a fuzz, AD9 and Strat I can cover a lot of ground. So sensitive to guitar volume knob tweaks, so many shades of tone, and cuts through the mix well.

3. Mig60

Mig60 Member

me too, no problem at all

4. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have been playing out with mine since 2000. It is still on my board because it works very well live.

5. sandman

sandman Member

And how exactly would you describe the Blackstone sound - using familiar TGP vocabulary?

6. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I've had one a couple of years and have given up using it out. IMHO it's great at home and great with a low volume amp. I use 10w or 15w amps and it's not great IMHO at gig/rehearsal volumes. Also it doesnt seem to cut through sit right whatever in a mix.

BTW used with a ZVex Nano set clean IMHO you can get some amazing driven sounds at stupid low volumes. I wont be selling it.

7. sstweed

I am actually quite opposite. I like it much better live. I don't use it as much these days because I don't have much use for low gain drives now that I play a tweed that gives me low od in spades. But I still love the thing live. I love the dynamics and the gritty texture. It isn't as smooth or synthetic as an opamp driven pedal sounds to me. And it cleans up way better giving me more control live. I don't try to get high levels of distortion out of it though. It also stacks really well if you are into that. It likes fuzzes and treble boosters in front of it, at least with my current amp.

8. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Like Mapleneck I find it cuts through great live and sounds great, especially at gig volumes.
    Myself, I really like it into a tweed 5E3 cranked, or miked Champ cranked, and use the guitars volume knob for controll, works nice. It also works in every amp I've used so far, just a great little dirt box that plays like an amp. Sound is so subjective, kinda one of those things you just have to feel yourself to see if it will work for you.

Check out this link, lotsa good info from Scott and others on this little box.!
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=138021

Best regards!

9. sstweed

I am a 5e3 man myself. Maybe that is why we like the same stuff?? :)

10. Mig60

Mig60 Member

i use it with a modified sovtek mig-60 head crancked and the Blackstone to push a little. I like a lot but when i really love it, is if i play with another gear in some gigs, it woks very good with any amp i played and it makes much more easy to get a similar sound from what i'm used to.

11. wopr

wopr Member

Well, I loaned it to my other guitar player, and he loves it for lead live. He usually doesn't get that excited about any pedals, but he went nuts for this one. Oh, his solution for cut through . . . he just cranks the pedal.

steve

12. omboy

omboy Member

I saw one on a shelf in Billy Gibbons rack o' stage gear this past fall, but who knows if he was really using it. . . .

13. Joses

Joses Member

i use it for lead stuff - works great for me, at both bedroom and live levels (into a Gries 5, single-channel blackface) :D