1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone gig with their Blues Jr?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scott757, Nov 27, 2017.

1. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

I got a Blues Jr last week and I really dig it. It came with a speaker upgrade to an Eminence GA-SC64. It's a great lower volume pedal platform, and the master volume is great if I want to run it on the edge of breaking up. I was wondering if anyone is gigging with this amp? Can you get it loud enough while it's still relatively clean?

2. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

yeah I gig with mine all the time, but, I switched the speaker out to a Celestion - sounded better with a dirt pedal.

I never run the guitar straight into the amp, with that amp. Theres always a pedalboard or a multi-FX box, or something, pre-amping the hell out of the signal before it gets to the amp. Gets pretty damned loud like that.

If you are looking for pristine cleans at a loud volume, probably not gonna get there with a blues jnr... depends on the volume of your drummer I guess.

3. Pick'n'strum

Pick'n'strum Member

I'm always plugged into one while playing at church (church owns it). It sounds great in the mix; even with the stock speaker. It is mic'd so I don't have to worry too much about clean headroom...Master volume is a great plus with that amp.

4. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

Used to gig with a Blues Junior (Eminence Texas Heat speaker).

If you mic it you can reasonably gig with it. If there is a drummer involved and you cannot put a mic in front of it, forget about the cleans..

IM4Tone likes this.
  5. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

yes, it's a great gigging amp if you mic it.

Average Joe and yakyak like this.
  6. topboost

topboost Member

Gigged, toured, etc, etc for years with one.

yakyak likes this.
  7. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Same.... used a Cannabis Rex for mellowing out the highs & increased a lil bit of lows. Worked fine... sound guy happy, back happy. no worries...

yakyak likes this.
  8. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

\
    +2

The C Rex is a very efficient speaker, turns a 15W with the stock speaker into about 30W equivalent or so. I used it with a 9 piece band, 3 piece horns, no issue with clean volume. Mic it in larger rooms.

9. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Kinda miss mine.....

10. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Member

Definitely. I have a Texas Heat in mine, it can stay clean and loud enough for what I need, but our drummer is pretty reasonable. I’ve played small/medium clubs without a mic, outdoors with a mic. Other guitar player uses a Tweed Deluxe, so that gives you an idea of the volume we use. If you dig the tone, it’ll do the job.

11. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Blues Juniors are absolutely giggable.... though better suited to some scenarios than others

I’ve owned a few variations, always set “clean” (master on max, control volume with gain knob), pulling back the mids a bit to help lose some of the inherent boxiness of those amps - fat switch in for Strat and Teles, and out for humbuckers - dirt from pedals

Worked great in a 4 or 5 piece, especially with a keyboardist... but never had enough balls for a blues/rock trio format, IMHO (funny... cuz a little Pro Junior through a larger cab worked great in that setting)

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  12. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've gigged one for a few years, just went back to using a Blues Jr III with some mods but I only use the amp clean and use pedals for my crunch tones I prefer it that way!

13. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

This!

14. gabipe15

gabipe15 Member

Currently gigging with mine. Small scenarios, stock speaker, master high, volume low, fat switch on, mids down, and dirt boxes...

I gig with a drummer.

15. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    There is this British guy, Beck... Jeff first name IIRC - he's been known to tour with Fender Pro Jr's.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

His style and sound is largely inapplicable to most players doing cover work.
    A large PA, personal monitor mixes, dedicated sound crew is also outside of gigs at the local bar.
    It's not all that hard to come up with a BJr to try out with your band.
    I suggest FAT off except as a booster for solos, master on full.
    BJ's are not nearly as bad nor as good as some would have you think. YMMV, of course.

17. tone4days

tone4days Member

i gigged my BillM modded BJr for years - mic'd ... hung easily with the other guitarist's boogie Mk I into a 2x12" ... soundmen loved it
    hangs easily in rehearsals with a loud drummer and bassist in a trio setting these days - loves pedals

enjoy
    t4d

18. PCalugaru

PCalugaru Member

Same as everyone else. I love the amp, use for small venue gigs mainley Blues or Jazz. I want to get another and run wet & dry. Heard a guy doing this and it sounded amazing!

19. AVWIII

AVWIII Member

I swear 80% of the local shows I see feature a blues Jr or pro Jr somewhere on stage. Sometimes without mics. In a large city with little parking the small amp is king.

20. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I used a Blues Jr. for gigging all the time when I had one. Then I switched to a Pro Junior.