Does anyone have a RED BEAR amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrt, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mrt

mrt Member

I just pick 1 up. the 60 watter. I was shocked at the tone this thing has. It blows away my DSL and Mesa Stiletto.

anybody know what the deal is with these things? Where did they come from???? I honestly never heard of them till now. It looks like it all point to point wiring.

If you know anything let me know! :AOK

2. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I think Gibson had something to do with importing those from Russia. Seems like it was just after the Sovtek/EH amp thing started.

Let's see a photo of yours please..

Jeff

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Russian made, sold through Gibson. Similar to a JCM 800/Sovtek Mig 50/60, etc. They are great, inexpensive amps for that kind of sound. One of the issues that some people had with them is that they used some odd preamp tubes. They can be converted easily to using 12AX7s. I have the schematic for changing them if you need it. Basically just rewiring the socket.

4. AL30

AL30 Member

A friend has one and it keeps blowing fuses - good sounding amp for little $$ when it's working. Any idea on replacing those oddball capacitors in there? I've got a little information but it's really confusing looking at those things.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/joseph3000/redbear/index.html

AL

5. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Search youtube for larry mccray....Bunch of those clips are with a red bear half stack....Killer

6. kanderson

kanderson Member

Thanks for the heads up on that guy! Killer player!

7. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

Mine was just okay -- sold it and bought a real Marshall. I still have a few of those weird preamp tubes around. Guess I should sell the suckers!

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have the Mk120 (100 watt version).

9. mrt

mrt Member

PLEASE post that schematic or PM it to me!!!!!!!

10. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

11. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Which caps? The filter caps are four 100uf @ 350v, then a 50 uf at 400v. I've got the schematics for the amps if you need them. Or I think Triode has them as well.

12. mrt

mrt Member

Thanks for the info! that seems easy enough.

13. onlyfourstrings

onlyfourstrings Member

My amp keeps blowing the 1 amp fuse . The 5 amp fuse is fine . It powers up , all the tubes lite , no sound . I put a new fuse in and it blows right away with a pop through the cabinet . Does anybody know what"s wrong with it ?

14. ajcxnejx

ajcxnejx Member

Seems like it was just after the Sovtek/EH amp thing started.[​IMG]

15. Jade

Jade Member

I've worked on a couple of those amps years ago, and I'll share what I remember. The first thing that comes to mind are those FUNKY FILTER CAPS! For those not familiar with them. they have a threaded bare metal case, that attached them thru a smallish hole in the chassis. Nothing like anything I've ever seen in any other amplifier, including the Sovtek Mig's. There's no really "Good" way to replace these without modifying the chassis. It CAN be done without modifying the chassis, but it's more than a bit sloppy trying to fit modern filter cap leads thru those small holes. Find a reputable tech to do the job.

I've done the tube socket rewire for standard 12A_7 tubes, and I don't recommend it. It totally screws up the character of the amp, and using 12AX7 ... it borders on the unstable. Did it for a customer, and we decided to switch it back, and just buy tubes on ebay. they're not hard to find, and preamp tubes last dang near forever anyway.

Seems everything in these amps is a little "odd" when compared with British, or US made amps... Even the pots are oddball. It's been quite a few years, but I remember them being plastic, and as I recall, they had more than the usual 3 leads on them. Don't remember if they were dual ganged, or what.... Like I said, it's been years, but even though they sound like a Marshall, they aren't laid out like a Marshall.

If it's in good working condition, I think they're real nice sounding Rock N Roll machines. If it's not, they're a little more tricky to work on than your typical JCM800.

16. neverrecover

neverrecover Member

I picked up a misidentified MKE60 on eBay years ago. It was a pretty good sounding amp in the same vein mentioned in this thread. At the time I had several other amps doing "that" better so I didn't keep it for long. It did sound good though.

17. jgyn

jgyn Member

Have a MK 120 that I picked up cheap.

18. liberator32

liberator32 Member

I had a 60 as a kid. It was a monster from what I remember. At the time I had a Marshall full stack (silver jubilee) that I spent ALL of my summer lawn mowing money to purchase.

The Red Bear was for sale locally and I bought it on a whim cash in hand. I remember being laughed at when I asked a local guitar shop owner if they made a "clean" pedal so that I could turn the single channel amp into a clean amp as well.