1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have a suggestion on...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jtg116, Jun 17, 2004.

1. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

I have an MBox that I still don't know how to use, but I'd like to get it onto a laptop setup. Does anyone kmow how well it works with models other than the two on the Digi site? Thanks much John

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

3. jtg116

I guess that would help! The models are , Dell 8500 with P4 or 4m or Gateway 400 with the P4 or 4m. What I'm really wondering is, will other good laptops work if they have the P4 chip?
    thanks John

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If you have questions about specific processors and how they affect ProTools performance, contact Sweetwater Sound and ask them. They stay up-to-date with all that.

I know nothing about those particular models nor how PCs spec out these days in general. But a good idea is to get the most powerful processor you can afford and load the machine to the max with extra memory. At a minumum, read the system requirements, then double it if you can.

5. jtg116

Thanks, I'm off tommorrow to pick up a laptop! Thanks for your advise. I hope to put in as much memory as I can afford, I'll tell you how all works out. John

6. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Dont forget the AMD Athlon chip that Digidesign also recommend its a lot cheaper than a P4.

I got an Acer Aspire 1350 Laptop which has an AMD Athlon 2400 chip in it and it works great with my 002 Pro-tools set-up.

It also has firewire so if you want to upgrade to an 002 you can.

All I had to do was add another 512mb of Ram to make my system fly.

http://www.acer.com/APP/AKC/INTERNE...8FE0B341F96B2A8A88256E9800629F91?OpenDocument

7. jtg116

Well I picked up a Laptop, a Dell at a computer show for a fair price and put in 1.2gig of ram. I still have to learn how to use ProTools, but a quick little tune with 6 tracks went down smoothly. I must learn how to record with class tho... Thanks for the input. John

8. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

9. jtg116

Thanks Gary I saw your other post and just wrote the guy!