Does anyone have a vintage Vox Pathfinder (the tube version)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by infiniteposse, Jan 29, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Supporting Member

Hi all-

I'm going to check one of these out tomorrow and I'm curious to get some feedback about what folks think of them as info online and in the forums is rather scarce. I've looked around here and Plexi-Palace, but there's not a ton of direct discussion on these.

As I understand it, it's a low volume Vox that's all tube and sounds like one would expect a mini-Vox to sound. Any verification of this? Lovers? Haters? Appreciators?

How much would be willing to pay for a decent specimen? There are no current nor closed auctions on eBay, so market value is a little hard to pin down.

Thanks in advance!

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Decent amp. Doesn't sound like an AC-2 or AC-4 or any of the AC series. Not quite as chimey or angry. Last few I've seen have all been in the $500-$800 range.

3. infiniteposse

Thanks for the feedback. I checked out the amp, loved it and bought it. I got it for $450 off Craigslist and immediately took it to my tech for a quick checkup. He upgraded the 2 prong plug, cleaned some pots and we called it a day. I'll perhaps get a recap done later, but it sounds amazing as-is and none of the visible caps were in distress.

The amps sounds amazing. It's sort of like a Vibrochamp, which I have and love, but I think it's got even more character which is hard to believe since I think VC's are one of the most amazing amps ever for low volume playing... The Pathfinder takes pedals really well, has an amazing clean tone and drives very nicely. I actually really love the speaker in it as well, which I wasn't expecting.

Thanks again!

Pics: http://www.pbase.com/infiniteposse/pathfinder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Nice looking amp, I didn't even know vox made a Tube Pathfinder. :)

5. puls

puls Member

Is that from the Portland, OR craig's list? I saw that & asked him about it, but I have class tonight (currently not paying attention......) & I'm busy tomorrow night. I have a Cambridge Reverb tube amp from California that I just love (ditched my Deluxe Reverb RI & never looked back), so that one was in my sights. Looks like you beat me to the punch. :( Enjoy :AOK.

Oh yeah, got my Cambridge from craig's list too.

jwp

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Nice grab. $450 is a good price.

7. infiniteposse

JWP-

Yeah, PDX Craigslist. I know that you've got to move fast to get anything on CL these days. It's almost down to dump luck if you get it or not. You're welcome to come play it sometime if you like:)

Be well.