Does anyone have any stories about meeting SRV?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by niksevig119, Feb 23, 2009.

1. niksevig119

niksevig119 Member

Ive been meeting a few people lately who have either played with, or met Stevie. They seem to have nothing but wild stories to tell about him. Im a big fan and i love every minute of it. I was just wondering if the guys on here have any stories they would like to share.

2. cheetah77

cheetah77 Member

I met SRV on his Live Alive tour, he was very gracious and talked with me for about ten minutes. He was shorter than I thought he'd be, with a vice like handshake. I told him I had my Strat in the car, and wondered if he'd sign it. He arranged for somebody working the Celebrity Theater to let me out of the venue and wait til I returned to let me back in.
    He signed my guitar, took a picture with me, signed my backstage pass, and gave me a pick.

He was just super cool and very kind, he wanted to know who Jane's Addiction was, (I was wearing a Nothing's Shocking t-shirt).

Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton were equally as nice, and I spent some time chatting with them. A night I'll never forget!

Abram4235, DHC, JL75 and 1 other person like this.
  3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Not a very exciting one. He used to play around DC a lot in the early 80s before he got famous. A friend of mine kept telling me how good he was so we went to some little hole in the wall bar to see him. I sat at a table right in front of him. I doubt there were a dozen people in the place. Talked to him a bit when he took a break. Don't really remember much of the conversation other than he seemed pleasant enough.

4. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

Not terribly exciting and a little tragic. I grew up in Austin and would, as an underage teenager, frequent a bar called Antone's to listen to music. The first time I saw SRV was at Antone's, and I had no idea who he was. He was not famous then, but had a reputation in town as a great guitarist, which is why I was there. He came in visibly intoxicated (on something). He was so intoxicated that I thought it would not be possible for him to play anything - much less play well. He was barely standing and was swaying too and fro; his eyes were slits. Imagine a drunk just before he passes out and you get the picture. Anyway, he plugs in, strums the guitar a couple of times and proceeds to wail. He was just amazing! I still don't know how he could stand, but he was awesome. First time of many I saw him over the years. The most "out of it" I ever saw him, as well.

5. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I used to occasionally work on the syndicated radio show Rockline as an assistant. I was lucky enough to work the show one of the times Stevie was on and he was slated to play live on the air. It was well before air time and I was alone in the studio setting up. I was staring in the mic cabinet debating which mic to use on his amp when I heard the door open and in walked Stevie. He strode right over, stuck out his hand and intoduced himself. I told him that I was just getting ready to mic his amp and I asked him if he had a mic preference. He said, "Nope. You're the man. I'm sure that you'll make me sound good." We chatted for a few minutes until several record label people came in and ushered him off.

After the show he graciously signed a CD booklet for me. To this day I wish that I had gotten a picture with him.

JL75 and TubeStack like this.
  6. ?&!

?&! Member

I never met him, but he played the solo to "Voodoo Child" leaned over right in front of me, with the headstock of #1 about a foot above my head. He dripped sweat on me. It was my 16th birthday, and I played guitar for about 48 hours straight after that. To this day, I have never seen anyone with as much effortless command of the instrument. He was utterly F@#$ING INCREDIBLE. I also saw him at Alpine Valley, the day before he died. I adore Clapton, but Stevie just blew him right off the stage.

7. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

No, but I once met his dental hygienist (seriously). I'm thinking she wasn't that good at her job.

Oh, and my wife used to take a spin class with Chris Layton several times each week.

8. niksevig119

niksevig119 Member

9. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

This is a great thread! I grew up in Texas, and never met him, but did see him on the In Step tour in Corpus Christi. I bring this up because it totally changed my life regarding guitar playing. Back in the day I was into all the 80's hair metal shredders, and didn't really know anything about him. My brother made me go with him, because he didn't have anybody to go with so I reluctantly went. To make a long story short, I have NEVER seen any one human be so in tune to his instrument, and so on fire as he was that night. You honestly felt like it was coming from a higher power, and he was just along for the ride. There are a lot of talented guitar players out there, but I think with him he truly was meant to play the guitar. It's funny but there are only two guitar players I have seen, maybe 3 that have had the exact same effect on me seeing them live. SRV, Eric Johnson, and Monte Montgomery. All from Austin. Must be something in the water .)

JL75 likes this.
  10. ricoh

ricoh Member

When I lived in New Orleans, I used to play with Mason Ruffner. One night SRV came in with Chris Layton. I knew Chris from a band that came through Tampa called Greezy Wheels. Chris and a few other guys spent the hours after the gig smoking bad weed and recording a song I wrote at my studio in Ybor City. Anyway back to the 544 Club on Bourbon St. Mason asked me if I wanted to play with SRV. He told me he would blow me off the stage if I tried to "cut it" with him. I declined and proceeded to watch SRV play the fastest Jeff's Boogie I could imagine. Seeing Chris again was cool. He was certain that things were going to go big with SRV. Mason told me the same thing. This was in 1980. When introduced he did not look up and just grunted.

Crowder and Heinz W like this.
  11. snarkle

snarkle Silver Supporting Member

SRV and I used to go to the same chiropracter...oh, these brushes with fame!

12. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

1986. I was at O'Hare Airport, leaving to go on tour with a student big band. I was with a chick from the tour, and though I was in high school, she was a few years older and in college. Ran into him at a hot dog stand in the terminal. He was in a state that I would later come to know as "stoned." He hit on the girl, laid a rap down about the "stars and moons" he could see in her eyes... or in her aura, or some **** like that.
    She thought it was great, he smiled and walked off with his food. I was like, hey, Stevie Ray Vaughan just tried to holler at my girl.

True story.

Sneaky and JL75 like this.
  13. ratkent

ratkent Member

This is going to sound like a bigger deal than it probably is, but here goes...

I actually played in some open jams at Antone's probably around that same time with Stevie, Kim Wilson, Chris Layton(Fabulous Thunderbirds), and Charlie Sexton to name a few. Every Monday was an open jam that was not always that open but I got on stage four or five times with all kinds of Austin musicians. It's kind of a blur because it was so long ago and I was usually fairly messed up. I was not really into the blues at that time (or even now) but a friend of mine dragged me up there one Monday and I kept going back because it was such a blast. Stevie was usually there really late and was always strung out on whatever. He was always very cool though and played great and very LOUD. The guy who really impressed everyone at the time was Charlie Sexton. He's younger than me but he would hit the stage with so much confidence and swagger that you just knew he was going to be something. Kim Wilson is a badass too.

My fondest memory of those times was when WC Clark played. He insisted I take a solo and he would not let me stop. I'm sure it was not pretty. But that is one very cool dude.

It was really no big deal to me at the time since none of them were "superstars" yet, but it is still a great semi-memory. I don't mind sharing this story on a fairly anonymous forum but I don't generally go around telling everyone I meet that I was on stage with SRV because it was not a huge deal at the time.

James and Bob Maximus like this.
  14. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

Best thread I've read on this board!!!:BEER

15. mikeyrsmith

mikeyrsmith Member

Never really met him, but I was VERY close to him in the front row at a very small gymansium on the campus of Mount Saint Mary's College in Emmitsburg, PA, where he played a show in the mid '80s. It remains one of the strangest Rock shows I've ever attended -- no booze or dope allowed inside or outside the venue, and everyone sitting on folding chairs on the gym floor -- including about 100 or so big, scary bikers, whose Harleys were everywhere in the parking lot. No opening band, no stage lights, no introduction. One minute, the stage was empty; the next minute, the band strolls out, Stevie plugged in, and tore it up for the next 90 minutes. Incredible performance...and an incredibly polite and sober audience. Very weird...and very cool.

16. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Member

I spent a weekend with him, as a opening act. He was the coolest ! Great guy! It was the In Step tour, after he cleaned up....He played my Epiphone rivierra 66! He loved it and said he had one just like it at home....He also heard we were looking around a strange town for a Burger King, and took me and my band in the VIP section, and let us eat a catered meal, cornish hens and all the fixen's.....He hugged me every time we saw each other.....Stood on the side of the stage both nights, and smiled, when we played, and was very encouraging ! The first night, during sound-check...I saw some little guy in jogging pants and cowboy boots playing and tuning up his guitar. I though it was his rode...I was gettiing real worried....I thought even the rodie's play better then me......It turned out to be SRV ! He was a little dude. We watched hip rehearse songs from In Step front row....We was a super nice guy! Felt like I made a nice friend, and heard shortly after about his death! I was in shock! We played Cleveland and Columbus ! Best week-end of my careeer hand's down!

Caribou, Lt Dak, Oakvillain and 3 others like this.
  17. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

18. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Santa Cruz Ca, 1983 or '84. SV was playing at the Civic this particular night.

I worked for the local newspaper and was able to sneak into the sound checks for all kinds of bands. It was awesome. So I was the only person in the place and the band was ripping for about 15 minutes or so. When they finished SRV called me over to the stage. He said they were hungry and wanted to go somewhere and get some food and a drink.

I told him I knew of a place that had outdoor dining, was two blocks away, live music and was cool. I took him and Tommy Shannon over to this place called the Cooper House. They sat down and I grabbed the table next to them and had a brilliant idea, SRV could sit in! I asked him if he and Tommy would want to sit in as the guitarist is a friend of mine, Stevie said "sure". I was taking Jazz guitar lessons from the guitar player in the band . His name was David O Connor.

When I asked David if Stevie and Tommy could sit in, his reply was "no , we don't let people sit in and I have never heard of him". Sheepishly I walked back to their table, told them he said no and went back to work. Stevie was super cool and not bothered in the slightest bit. Just kicked back and enjoyed the day.

I quit my jazz lessons the next week and handed my teacher a tape of Texas Flood.

19. Mike

Mike Member

I love that every time I hear it! He has a spot on Gigmasters where he lists his influences, among others, as "Robbin" Ford and Pat "Methany". They must have been huge influences....

Mike

20. parker

parker Member

Haha, one of the coolest stories I've read! Thanks...