Does anyone have any tips or mods for the Marshall Jubilee series?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JoshuaTSP, Feb 21, 2008.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I recently obtained a Marshall Jubilee Combo.....2x12.
    All original.......I'm wondering if anyone has any tone tips? Tubes, speakers, etc.....or any simple mods?

Thanks!

2. hongsta

hongsta Member

Hi JoshuaTSP. What is it that the Jubilee combo is not delivering that you want in terms of tone or features? What is your main guitar? What kind of speakers are in it? I would start out w/ making sure that you have healthy set of tubes and that it is biased and based on what you are looking for, start out w/ least intrusive changes and work your way down to most. I have the 2555 and it sounds great the way it is.

3. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Well, it sounds a little fizzy at times, and I'm having a hard time balancing the volume on the "clean" and dirty channels. The tone controls are VERY responsive....but as soon as I dial out the fizz, the gain channel sounds a little flat. I'm assuming that's the Vintage 30s talking?
    I use multiple guitars......but mostly dual HB types with PAF type pickups....so mostly Vintagey.

When I bought it....it had the original tubes. Marshall branded 12AX7s, and I can't remember the brand EL34s. Which I swapped out for Winged =C= EL34s and re-biased. I also put in a Mullard Reissue 12AX7 in V1, along with one of the original 12AX7s in V2 and a JJ in V3.

4. JerryP

JerryP Member

You don't wanna mod a Jubilee. Make sure your amp is the later Jubilee circuit, if not, mod it to be the later circuit. The ealier amps were a bit thin and weak.
    Jerry

5. hongsta

hongsta Member

I would start w/ trying out different speakers/cabs first before going the mod route. Vintage 30s might be OK although I only like them w/ certain amps (Jubiliee being one of them) and only w/ closed back cabs so that might be the issue. I also like my Jubilee through 4X12 cabs w/ Greenbacks and G12-65s.

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Closed backed cabs really seem to tame the Vintage 30s......
    I really only have an open backed Vox cab with Celestion Hot 100s, a Lopo with Eminence 10" Legends and a closed back Avatar cab with warehouse GBs......which I just swapped in last night....so I'll have to give those a shot. They have a wattage mismatch though.:crazy