Does anyone have clips of the Swart SST30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by straticus, Aug 1, 2008.

1. straticus

straticus Member

I just listened to the clips of the Swart SST30 on the Swart web site and they sounds great!

Does anyone have any clips or first hand experience with this amp?

2. straticus

straticus Member

3. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

I recall seeing a clip of the SST on one of the online guitar stores...I bet youtube has several clips for it. One of the guitar magazines did a video demo of it and I saw it somewhere. I have played briefly an SST and I own the AST and little SpaceTone 6v6se. The SST has all the magic of the AST plus a gain switch and a great master volume. The Swart clips are all great and fortunately quite representative of the amps. Incredible amps!

Eric

4. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Hey Straticus, I know there are several other SST-30 owners here who have had theirs for longer than me (and are probably better players than me, too). But I'm happy to chime in, as well.

I got one of the most recent SST-30's from Michael about two weeks ago. I also own a Space Tone Reverb and an Atomic Space Tone Pro :banana. There have been several other comments about this amp on this forum, so I don't want to rant on about things you already know about it. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know, or are you looking for general impressions?

5. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

TMock, you've practically got the whole Swart family! :D If you don't mind my asking what serial no. is your recent SST? I'm curious about how many have been made. I have #006, one of the first ten built.

I've had mine since March of '07 and I still can't get over how good it sounds. It's been my amp-GAS killer since I first got it. Love it to death. I use it weekly at a full band jam, as well as at home, and my tone is just fantastic with it. Since the other two guitarists play Strats I usually use my LP for tonal variety. LP and SST is a killer pairing, a match made in heaven. It sounds great with single coils too, I get the best chimey cleans I've ever heard with my Strat into the SST.

In fact I have a hard time playing other amps now. Every time I do I can feel and hear the difference immediately and end up back with the Swart. It's that good to me. I'll NEVER sell mine. Ever. I'm not kidding. :)

I play blues, blues-rock, and rock mainly. I have no clips right now but we're going to be making a CD soon and when it's ready I'll post some of the tunes.

6. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Yeah, I've got a little carried away by the Swart amps. :eek: But they're just so good and so unique I can't help myself!

So the box for my SST-30 head says #60. (Is there a serial number somewhere easily accessible on the unit itself?) I'm not sure what the serial number is for the cab. This is such a ridiculously cool amp! I'm planning to post a review of it here on the forum. I wanted to wait a little while to get to know it really well first, and to get some more posts under my belt so people don't think I'm just a hired shill for Swart!:nono But your praise for your SST-30, as well as a few others, were really influential in me getting one, so I want to pass on the good word.

I'm away from home for the summer, and I only have tele style guitars with me. It doesn't get much better than a tele and a Swart, but I can't wait to get back home and plug in a strat, and borrow a friend's les paul for awhile. Should be fun!

7. cubado

cubado Member

8. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I've got a question about the SST 30. How loud does it need to run to sound really good? I'm a home player, and record for fun. As a reference point, I use a Fuchs ODS50 SLX, and find it does very well at the volume level I can use. It is far from cranked though. Can the SST 30 do that?

9. Notverysuttle

Notverysuttle Member

My wife gave me #41 for my 40th birthday, and it remains my #1 and the envy of all my buddies.

Jeff, with the Swart's master volume I find I can dial in super sweet tones at nearly any volume. And even at low decibel levels, the amp will break up nicely. I love the tone and the amp's responsiveness so much that I have reduced my pedal board to a tuner only. The reverb is the best that I have experienced yet.

On a final note, I have called Swart co twice with questions, and Mike Swart took the time to personally answer my questions. If I sent out X-mas cards, Swart would be on my list right after my Grandma.

10. cubado

cubado Member

"The reverb is the best that I have experienced yet."

"with the Swart's master volume I find I can dial in super sweet tones at nearly any volume."

what he said !!

:AOK:dude

11. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I want one of these so bad. I'm envious of you SST owners.

12. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hey there.

I had an AST and now have an AST Pro...I've always been curious about the SST-30.

In comparison to the AST's is the SST basically the same familiy of tone in a bigger size or are there significant voicing/tone differences?

13. Peppy

Peppy Member

I've played every Swart model and the SST is just a great sounding amp. As I always say though I really like it with its corresponding 2 X 12" cab...perfect match. As to numbers...the numbers of SSTs built should still be in the 60s. If he only did a combo version.........

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Amen...I'd love a 2 x 12" combo Swart!

I'm off to Nashville in October with the band for some recording and I'm really hoping I get a day or two left over to get to visit Wilmington & to try an SST

15. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

TMock- #060? That is low. I thought it might be over 100 by now, but I'm not really surprised. Thanks.

There is a sticker next to the OT on the inside of the head that has the serial. You have to take the back panel off to see it.

[​IMG]

JeffD- Yes, the SST can do that. The PPI Master Volume works well. It sounds good at low volumes, clean or dirty, but like any tube amp sounds best with higher volume behind it. IMO the SST is an ideal home/studio amp that can also gig. As I mentioned in my previous post I use it both at home and at jams. It excels in both situations.

Notverysuttle- Sounds like you have a great wife! :D

I don't use any pedals at home either with this amp, and though I have a few pedals hooked up at jams I rarely use them (except the RC Booster for solos). I feel the same way about the tremolo as you do the reverb. Best I've ever heard.

cg- Now you just got that nice Club 40 and you're already GASsing for more?!? :roll

My friend has that very amp (it mysteriously appeared a few weeks after I got my SST :D) and let me just say that it and the SST are consistently the best sounding amps at the jam. In fact I use his Germino cab (like yours w/ 2 Greenbacks) to save me lugging my Swart cab. He built a 4x12 for his Club 40 and uses it instead.

You have a great rig bro, enjoy it. :JAM

Realfi- I think if like the AST's sound you'd dig the SST. I bet if you play one you'll want it. You've been warned. ;) Though I've never played either incarnation of the AST I'd be willing to bet the voicing is very similar.

Since you'll be here in the States this Fall I'm sure you can find a Swart dealer closer to Nashville than Michael's place. It would be cool however to visit him at his shop and thank him in person for his incredible amps!

Peppy- Don't you like heads and cabs? Most 2x12 combos are heavy as hell, the SST head and cab weigh in at 35 and 45 lbs. respectively. Much easier to lug. Plus you further isolate the tubes from the speakers with a separate head. But to each his own as they say.

16. Peppy

Peppy Member

Heinz: I take my Rory Gallagher Strat in one hand...no case...and my combo (cables and pedal in back) in the other. No matter which combo. I like one trip into the club and one back out...pretty much eliminates any theft. Now my Vibro-King and AC30TBX are heavier but at least the AC30 carries "level"...the King really tilts. I sold my SRRI awhile back and found that fairly easy to carry as it's tall. (I may be old (53) but due to consistent weight-lifting I do fine.) Of course though the PRO is a lot easier to handle. Again, it's that "one trip in and one trip out" for me.

17. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Heinz W,

Ah! I knew there was probably a serial number on the inside of the head somewhere, but I was too lazy to take the back panel off to look. :) I'll check it out today or tomorrow to confirm.

Realfi,

I haven't played the regular AST as much as I have the PRO (I don't own a regular AST), so I can only really fairly compare the SST with the PRO. I think they have a similar voice, allowing for obvious physical differences: wattage, number/type of speakers, size of cab. If the PRO was meant to be a bigger, more open, more extended version of the AST, the SST just takes that one step (or maybe a couple of steps) farther. Each offers a slightly different flavor, but I find their overall vibe similar. In about a week, I'll be somewhere I can put them both side by side and crank them up. I'll follow up then if I start hearing something different.

Based on your great reviews and comparisons of the AST and the AST PRO, my guess is that the SST sounds more like a big version of the PRO than a big version of the AST.

Travis.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  18. Peppy

Peppy Member

The SST is pure rock, the AST/AST PRO a little more subtle.

19. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    Thanks for the detailed info. Much appreciated.

20. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I absolutely will! I love this amp and most likely won't buy a 2nd amp for quite a long time. I love it! :AOK