Does anyone have experience with the Two Rock LTD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tom CT, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

As the subject says, I'm intrigued by this amp. It appears to have about the same functionality as the Custom Reverb (same control and switch layout), but accepts a range of output tubes for different power levels (and obviously sounds). To be honest, the line of Two Rock amps has me totally confused, so comparisons to other models won't be too helpful. Objective opinions are preferred. :) Thanks - Tom

Unadan likes this.
  2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    give Tonegurus a call. Mike Roberto's a dealer, a player, a wizard a true star. i'll betcha he knows everything you want to know.

also, his special (TR) TGL (tonegurus limited) model is probably my favorite.

TGL info here

:cool:

Unadan likes this.
  3. Rick0

Rick0 Member

Unadan likes this.
  4. Tom CT

You must be a Todd fan. Totally cool. :dude

Unadan likes this.
  5. 908SSP

908SSP Member

"Objective opinions" That's an oxymoron :confused:

Unadan likes this.
  6. Timster

Timster Member

Not sure about the newer LTDs. but my LTD proto is an awesome amp - Marshall meets Dumble describes it pretty well. The one on Ebay is at a great price. If I had the money I'd jump all over that one.

Unadan likes this.
  7. Tom CT

Ha! You're absolutely correct! What was I thinking? I guess I meant that descriptions like "compared to the Emerald/Onyx/Topaz/Ruby/Zirconium/Rhinestone, I feel that..." wouldn't mean much to me, as I'm Two Rock challenged.

Unadan likes this.
  8. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))

he's got this SG i covet ;)

:cool:

Unadan likes this.
  9. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I had an LTD in my studio for several weeks, so I can actually answer your question!

The LTD is a VERY cool amp.

It operates a lot like the other TRs except the Onyx in that it has lots of controls that operate on both channels, but it has a very unique sound, and of course, THAT partially depends on the tubes you choose to run it on. It's Cathode biased, and you can run 6L6, 6V6, and I believe EL34 as well.

The one I had here was running 6L6s, if I recall...and yes, I have at least two clips of it in tunes I produced. In one clip it sounds almost Marshall influenced; on another, it's into Fendery-Dumbly territory. Its controls are very responsive, and you REALLY hear the different settings. All this without having to change tubes - I only had the 6L6s on hand. I think. Maybe it was 6V6s...I honestly am not sure.

It is 30-something watts with the 6L6s, which is a nice power range for gigging and recording. Not as "big" sounding as the 50 watters, but really, for my purposes it was plenty loud.

I'd describe the bottom end as tighter/less springy than the Onyx, and the highs are a lot like other TRs. The bottom is, dare I say it, more in the direction of the Opal in terms of tightness.

I really enjoyed the LTD I had here, thought it was a perfect amp for versatile recording and tweakability. Recording it was a dream; I kept it in the control room, and the cab was in the booth, and just worked the controls until I got where I needed to go, track by track, and yeah, it goes in a LOT of directions.

Hope this helps.

Unadan likes this.
  10. Tom CT

LSchefman - Thanks for the detailed info. It sounds like this amp is about as far from a "set it and forget it" model as they come. Not that versatility isn't good, but I've found that I'm personally happier without a plethora of tone shaping switches and controls. My 2-channel Fargen Bordeaux is about as complicated as I can handle right now, and it's extremely simple. I do like the fact that the TR is on the low side, powerwise. I've got too many amps already that are devestatingly loud with the volume much above 3. :)

Unadan likes this.
  11. Timster

Timster Member

I think the LTD is an amp you can "set and forget" - it's just also extremely versatile - in other words, it can be 'set' a number of different ways, and then 'left' at any of those configurations.

Unadan likes this.
  12. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

+1

Les' post and this post hit the nail on the head in my opinion.

It's a killer amp, is easy to set, and just happens to be versatile enough that if you tire of one sound and want to explore other sets of tubes you can.

Unadan likes this.
  13. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I got to play a LTD at Ultra Sound. It is very nice. It low volume I thought the cleans were a little dark. As I opened it up, it was much nicer. Incidentally, I really liked the stiffer cleans of the Opal at low volumes and as it opened it it got too stiff/bright for me. Anyway, as noted, once you fidn the tone you are looking for, you're set. It has a set of tone controls on the back of the amp that controls only the lead sound. As mentioned, and I agree, there is a Marshall sound to it. I remember thinking that I can get Allmans approved tones out of the amp. If I did not just pick up a Custom, I would be all over that amp. Oddly enough, I went with the custom because it was used and cheaper. At that Price, I'd jump on it. Go for it. LEt me live vicariously through you. Let us know.

Where is CT are you? If you are interested you can play my Custom to get an idea of the TR sound. I am in garnerville NY.

cmn

Unadan likes this.