Does anyone have experience with the Wilkinson intonatable wraparound bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by McQuade, Mar 11, 2015.

1. McQuade

McQuade Member

I want to raise the action and reset the intonation on my guitar but I have never done it with a wilkinson wrap around bridge. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing this. Mostly I wonder what order I should go about it. Raise the height first, follow with the E string adjusments and then fine tune the middle two plates? Anybody know what size allen wrench I need? Any info and help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

That's the process pretty much. Only loosen the screws very slightly and then move them in small increments. If you keep the screws pretty tight you can move them and tune without them slipping and then tighten them when everything is just right.

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

If it has the locking posts you should detune some so as not to stress them. But yeah set the Es then fine tune the plates.

4. McQuade

McQuade Member

Would I need to unlock the posts to raise the action?

5. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Unlock the posts raise the action and then set the intonation and relock the posts.

6. McQuade

McQuade Member

thanks for the help

7. McQuade

McQuade Member

Sorry to bring back an old post, How do I unlock the posts on this bridge?

8. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I've only ever put this bridge on regular posts but usually a locking TOM post will have a hole down the middle with a set screw that tightens against the bottom of the insert, thus jamming up the threads. If that is the case you just loosen that set screw with an allen key and then you can adjust the posts as necessary. Once they're where you want them tighten the set screw back up to take up any slack in the post threads.

9. McQuade

McQuade Member