Does anyone have pics of the Jimmie Vaughan strat in sunburst???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JDavisNJ, Feb 22, 2006.

1. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Hi, I am going to be picking one these up very soon, but would like to see how decent this sunburst is on the JV strat.

I can't decide between this and Olympic White. I also cannot find any "real" pics of the JV strat in sunburst anywhere....

Also, 2 quick questions...Is the JV strat a 2 piece alder body?? If so what are the advantages/disadvantages of this??

Lastly, what is your opinion of the trem on this guitar?? Can it be replaced with one of higher quality???

Thanks!!

-Joe

2. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Oops!! One more question...

I know the pickguard on this guitar is quite bad, considering it is single ply. (I saw an extremely warped example at a local store)

I know if I replace it with a newer high quality pickguard I will have to drill a couple more holes, but which strat style pickguard will fit and be proportional???

Thanks so much!!

-Joe

3. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I put a green guard from WD on my Jimmie (Oly white) and it fit perfectly. I only wish I would have bought the sonic blue Jimmie that was on ebait....

4. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Cool, do you know which style in particular the pickguard is?? The Fender site says different pickguards correspond to different styles of strats, so I need to know which to use.

Onviously more holes will have to be drilled...

-Joe

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Here's a photo of a sunburst JV Strat:
    [​IMG]

I own 2 JV Strats....one is sunburst and the other is white and, as expected, they sound a bit different. While there are many tonal factors in any guitar, Fender does use multiple pieces of alder in the JV Strats to keep the price down. The sunburst version also has a thin veneer of birch on the front & rear of the body to cover up the multiple alder joints that are invisible in the solid color version. While the birch veneer on the sunburst version doesn't sound like a good tone recipie, I actually like the sound of my sunburst one slightly better.

The hardware is American and is the same stuff they use on the Vintage reissue Strats so I really see no need to repalce the trem. My pickguards lay flat so I see no need to replace them. The only problem I've had with my JV's is a bit of nut pinch....but that's easily fixed. Best "bang for the buck" Strat in the entire Fender line IMO :AOK .

Hope this helps!

6. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

It is a 3 ply 11 holer and I made more holes.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Hi Mighty,

Are you sure about the Sonic Blue? The Fender site doesn't list it as an available color.

Thanks,

Greg

8. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

9. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Cool thanks!! Did you have to plug any holes or did the current ones line up correctly??

I'm asking due to the dude's post above mine...

Thanks for the heads up about the pickguard too!!

-Joe

10. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Ah really, no one piece eh??

Do you have any "real" pictures that you took yourself?? I appreciate that pic, it's just most pics in the catalogs aren't always 100% accurate...Thanks!

-Joe

11. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Quite sure...that's my fave Fender colour and when I saw it I figured it must be a one off or a mistake.