Does anyone have time spent on Fender R. Kotzen tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by C-4, Mar 3, 2015.

1. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I have been looking at these on line, but very little info other then the catalogue spiel is given.

Sweetwater has 3 of them but they are boat anchors.

I'm trying to find out how the neck feels, and it's shape. As for the weight, I'm hoping I might find something a bit lighter...like about 7.5 lbs.

Thanks in advance.

2. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

Necks are huge (in a nice way but you've got to love huge necks). I dig them.

As for weights, everyone I've played has been over 8.5 lbs and up to 9.5 lbs.

I don't think it is possible to find what you're looking for (I've tried). They are all consistently in the 8.5+ lb range.

3. Defendant

Defendant Member

I played a lightish one in a shop in Tokyo a couple of years ago. The neck is great - a fat D shape.

4. BJW

BJW Member

Played one last week, fat neck very comparable to a CS Tele I have. Fat C shape. I favor a more traditional tele style, but really liked the way it played & sounded. Nice twang & rock tones to be had.If you like fat necks it's a great tele.

5. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Thank you all! :) I tried a Fender Select Jazzmaster that a friend had, and it had a similar neck to to what you are describing in the Kotzen. I had the original Jeff Beck Strat built in the '90's and loved that neck.

My only put-off is the weight. My other guitars are in the 5 pound range (carbon fiber), and one is 7 pounds even, (Vigier).
    I would not mind if it was down around 8 lbs, but dayam!

6. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Recently got a 8lbs 2oz one from Sweetwater. Love it.
    Yes, a bunch of close to 9lbs ones out there, but I'm sure they sound great too.

Neck is large, but just a step up from the neck I already was using.

7. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Cal, I've been teetering on the edge of whether or not to get one. Is it problematic to not have a tone control? That's just about the only thing stopping me right now.

8. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I have an RK Tele, and I ended up swapping out the two-way rotary switch for a push/pull tone control so I could get series/parallel options from the bridge pickup.

I also put in a 4-way switch so I could get series/parallel from the two pickups together. Now, it gets a lot of different Tele tones - the DiMarzio Chopper T is a very versatile pickup.

All that maple makes it a bright axe otherwise.

UPDATE: I've been playing a lot more and I'm glad I did the mods I did. It's so much more useful to me now. It's starting to rival my #1 Strat for playing time now. BTW, mine weighs 7 lbs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

I believe the RK neck is fatter than the select JM.

10. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

I've had one for a year. I love it. I bought it because of the features: huge neck, arm cut, tummy cut and great pickups. It is not a light guitar but that does not bother me. The neck was the best feature for me as skinny necks and anything in "modern C" cause me to have pain in my hand. The Kotzen has a BIG neck and it feels great in my hand.

I think that the pickups are voiced very well for this guitar. I do not find it too bright and I really enjoy the series/parallel feature as it allows me an added dimension that I really did not expect.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  11. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

RE: Tone control:

I'm a long time Tele player so of course I'm gonna take the 2 position knob out, put in a tone
    control and wire it to a 4 way switch!! BTW: The Chopper T IS a versatile pup, I may have more options wired up.

I knew that B4 I bought it!!

12. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Well, you guys pushed me off the ledge. The Kotzen tele is on its way to my door right now.

13. rotlung

rotlung Member

If only these had a 9.5 radius and a tone control, with a second switch for series/parallel, it would be such a perfect guitar

14. Guitartim

Guitartim Member

A tone control would be nice, but I simply back off the volume a bit and the brightness is reduced. Can't beat this feature-packed, high quality Tele for the price.

musicman10_1 likes this.
  15. Guitartim

Guitartim Member

16. monty

monty Member

Congrats, they are great axes.

17. Bogner

Bogner Member

Great guitars and solid as a rock. Wonderful tones and the necks are big. Very big for a tele compared to the majority of tele necks I have played (many). They are on the heavy side weight wise. If weight is an issue, go after his newer model as they are much lighter on average.

18. Guitartim

Guitartim Member

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The neck is spec'd at 42mm, 15/8 nut width,
    This is a narrow neck. It may be thick but will not provide any more finger room.

20. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I loved this axe from the minute I first saw it when they were only available from Fender Japan. My main guitar was a heavily modded 85 MIJ 62 re-issue which had Dimarzio Fast Track-1's (the first year of production)- Medium Jumbo Frets- and a few other mods which hasn't changed since 91. I have a lot of Tele's but this guitar has been with me 30 years and I played it for a period of 15 years straight which is why the 7.25" radius isn't an issue. I almost hit buy twice on Ebay for a new Kotzen sig straight from Japan, but it was hard to justify spending $1,899 and then another $140 for shipping for a non US guitar. I talked with Mike Eldred and asked him if Kotzens personal guitars were built in the Fender US Custom Shop or Japan and he told me Japan. Finally Fender cracked and let Fender Japan export the Kotzens here and for $400 cheaper ($550 if you include shipping) and they are one wicked axe! Here is a demo of Kotxen putting his sig through the paces and the tone is phenominal (though not recommended for purist lol)