• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Does Anyone Here Play Just One Type of Guitar?

BobbyRay

Silver Supporting Member
I definitely am a Strat guy. No if ands or buts about it.

I also own an LP and a 335. Love those guitars. I really enjoy picking them up, enjoy playing them out as a change-up from a Strat. I have four Strats.

If I can only take one guitar to the gig...Strat.

Surfguitar

I have 7 guitars now yesterday I got my last one a Steinberger GR4.
I also have a PRS Custom 24, a Rickenbacker 350v63, a reissue Vox
Teardrop, a Gretsch Nashville Double Cut, a Eric Clapton Signature
Stratocaster and a American Standard Telecaster. It looks like the
Steinberger will be my main guitar.

Yep. 12 fret size 00 acoustic guitars. Both tuned down to D#. No pickups, I mic them and stomp my right foot on a stomp box. It took me years, and endless experimenting with various electrics, pedals, pickups etc to find my thing.

moehuh

The need for different guitar types entirely depends on how many different genres you play and / or how many different sounds you need. If you play one type of music and have your basic, awesome tone, then there is no need for 10 different guitar types. If you're a session musician with a broad spectrum to cover, you simple need at least 3-4 different guitars in your tool box.

Same with shoes. If you're working as a teacher and like to go swimming and do city trips, you need one pair of sneakers. If you're a sales guy, who likes hiking and cycling, you simply need at least 3 completely different pairs.

Ramboorider

Silver Supporting Member
I basically play a strat about 90% or more of the time I'm playing electric - I spend a lot of time on a acoustic too. I have an SG with P90s and it's awesome, but it's basically a change of pace guitar for me. I reach for it every now and then and it's kind of nice to know it's there. But I reach for the strat almost all the time. I've been a strat guy since around 1979 and for most of that time, a strat has been my only electric.

-Ray

Louiddur

I'm in the same boat. I sold about every other guitar that I had to keep a 335, an SG and a Les Paul. The main reason is that my bandmate plays a Tele and a Jazz master

Not that it matters that much, but we like having two different tones

I also kept my tele. It's my number 1 at heart. It's the one I pick when I don't play with a band

Surfguitar

My original 3 guitars were a PRS Custom 24 a 360 Rickenbacker
and a Steinberger GR4. My all time favorite guitar is a 350v63
Rickenbacker which I now have. those 3 give me all the sounds
that I want. Now the other 4 guitars each have a different vibe
going on. Fore the Semi sound my Gretsch nails it and for Twang
my Telecaster has it my Clapton Stratocaster I like the in between
sounds and my Vox Teardrop I've always wanted one of those since
the 60's.

Trick Fall

I have a variety of guitars, but I'm more focused on songwriting than guitar playing in and of itself and different guitars have different songs in them.

skullfunkerry

These days I’m exclusively a superstrat kind of guy. Back when I was gigging I switched between a couple of Jackson Kellys, a King V and a pair of LTD EC1000s... if I was going to buy another guitar now it would probably be another (super)strat of some kind

Nyarlathotep

Despite preferring rhythm playing, I lean towards superstrats with single humbuckers and Floyds. I have a few other shapes, but superstrats dominate.

patshep

Silver Supporting Member
Not anymore, but for a good 15 years I only played 335s, and before that 175... now i have a tele and a 335 style, and one more to sort of do it all.... I'm more than happy with just a 335 or 2

doctorx

I have ten guitars.

Strat, LP, DCLPJR, SCLPJR, three different kinds of Tele's, two Modernes, and a Brian May copy.

The Strat is my number one, but I play the rest on a regular basis.

Trending Topics