Does anyone here understand exactly how to wire the Fender Super Switch?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Bill Brasky, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

I've looked at the instructions at Stew Mac and they aren't much help. They don't really explain it well, they just have a few pics. I can't find any other instructions for it anywhere. Can someone explain to me how this switch works? There's 24 solder tabs on mine.
    :confused:

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

each tab at the end connects to one of the 5 tabs in a row that it's next to depending on where the switch is set. what are you trying to get the switch to do?

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

How to wire it will depend on what you want to do。

Think of it like this:

You have 4 independent "hands" that all can perform different connections or disconnections simoultaneously and independently, in 5 different combinations/sequence.

Or, did you only want to know how to wire it to get your standard strat configuration? If so, there's no need to use a super switch at all.

Did I just make it more complicated?

4. Bill Brasky

I have a SSH setup, a noiseless Dimarzio Area 61 in the neck(4 conductor wires), a hot rails SC sized HB(4 conductor) in the middle and a full sized HB in the bridge. I want a volume control and tone for the neck and middle and a volume control/no tone for the bridge. I want position 1 to be neck pu only, 2= neck and middle(hum cancelling), 3= middle, 4=bridge and middle together(not split-both on full), 5=bridge full HB.

5. Chikn

Chikn Supporting Member

You don't need a Super Switch for that. That's a normal Strat setup, and only requires a normal Strat switch.

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Take a look at this thread. Jack Briggs came up with a wiring diagram which is pretty close to what you want except his diagram is for one master tone control.

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=332992

You don't need a super switch at all, I think.

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

That's correct. You aren't splitting any of the pickups, so it can be done with a conventional 5-way. It isn't quite a normal Strat setup though.

Use Jack's diagram, but move the tone control to the neck/middle pickup volume control (top tag) and connect the output jack directly to the second side of the switch.

8. Bill Brasky

The regular 5 way switches I have don't look like the ones shown in your example. Mine are the Fender Squire type, like this:

[​IMG]

Enclosed mechanism with 8 tabs in a row. I found a Fat Strat wiring diagram at the Squire guitars site that uses this kind of switch and is close to what I'm after, I think. I still don't understand how to change the wiring so that I have one volume and one tone for neck + middle and one volume for the bridge.

Here's a pdf diagram from the Fender Squire site:
    http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/diagrams/SquierShowmasterHSS1B4D.pdf

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Honest advice: buy a proper USA-made CRL switch. Not only will it be much easier to wire up from the diagram, those PCB switches are complete crap - they feel flimsy in use, go noisy, wear out quickly and often break. It really isn't worth cutting corners on this, even on a cheaper guitar IMO. A decent switch is only a few dollars more and won't come back to bite you when you've done all the work to wire it up.

10. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

What John's said!

Those tiny lugs in particular are really pain in ass to solder and wire.

11. Bob V

Bob V Member

I don't know if Stew Mac is selling a better super switch these days, but the plastic bodied ones I got from them were not very durable (and I tried two of them) because if you do any repair or rearranging later, the tabs just can't tolerate being reheated too many times, they melt the plastic around them and become loose. Also the body is plastic where the mounting screws go in so you have to be careful not to overtighten them, not to mention that the shaft is too small for a standard switch tip.

The Oak/Griggs super strat switch that's called out as a fender part number 099-2251-000 is a much better bet. However it's only necessary if you're going to do a coil shunt (like a Lonestar or Superstrat) or series/parallel.

A standard five way Strat switch is a two-pole, three throw switch, make before break, with five detents so you get in between combinations.

A super switch is technically a four-pole, five-throw switch (one wiper and five choices on each little subset, with four sets of switches operating together).

12. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

I'm replacing a 4P5T plastic (no longer super):FM switch and need to find my best option for HsH with pos 3 HH in full HB. The OakGribsby/Fender superswitch would be easy except my cavity is only 1 3/8"

Megaswitch E+ looks good but hard to find, andy other options....no plastic anymore thanks,

Andy