Does anyone insure their guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rotten, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

In looking at my guitars, I realize that I have almost $20K in guitars. How did that happen? Anyways, I was just curious, does anyone purchase separate insurance for their guitars? If so, how?

2. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

My homeowners insurance covers personal items up to $80k by default.

This easily covers my guitars with room for many, many more......

3. yorick

yorick Member

Yup, it's called a Personal Articles Floater and you can purchase it from the same person you get your homeowner's insurance from. It's the only way to make sure you can replace your instruments with like kind and quality in the event of a loss--your Homeowner's has a separate sublimit (typically only $2500) for musical instruments.

They won't typically cover your equipment if you get paid to play, in that case you would need to specially endorse the policy, or buy a business type policy.

4. yorick

yorick Member

you need to read more deeply into your policy...musical instruments aren't typically considered "contents"

5. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

yep, read your policy carefully. Most times you need a specific rider and not just contents.

6. gdcx

gdcx Silver Supporting Member

Check out this site:

http://www.merzhuber.com/

I have (for many years) purchased a separate policy for my guitars (and vintage amps) from these people.

My current Musical Instrument Policy is from Chubb.

The policy has a specific schedule and value for each instrument - I updated it and add/subtract as needed.

Very reasonable price - IMHO- about $250/year for $25k scheduled value (worldwide coverage) and a $100 deductible.

You must read the policy,of course, to know what is covered and what is not. As an example, if my instruments are stolen from a car, I am covered...but if they are destroyed or damaged as a result of a nuclear detonation, I am S.O.L :eek:

Give them a call to discuss specifics.

There are other companies like this, if you look. This is just who I have used and been satisfied with.

Good luck,

Greg

7. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Thanks for the link Greg. I recently started looking into this myself.

8. gdcx

gdcx Silver Supporting Member

You are welcome - I am happy to share.

Greg

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

10. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

Be very careful, many homeowner policies and even riders don't cover musical instruments. Call your insurer to find out, do not call your agent as they often don't know for sure.

11. camitchell

camitchell Member

+1. Unless you've specifically made arrangements for this you may be deeply disappointed. Most coverage will have a $500 cap on musical instruments, jewelry, etc....

Mine are all covered by personal property policy, no deductible, anywhere in the world, I declare value. Insurance company has all my gear on file with serial numbers, values, etc..... money well spent in my opinion.

12. les

les Gold Supporting Member

I have all my instruments and amps insured with Heritage. A very good policy, recommended by guys who have several 200/300k bursts.

13. All Hallows

All Hallows Member

You bet!!! I didn't feel at peace until they were finally covered. I have insurance through Clarion. Make sure you get some sort of protection before it's too late.

14. MartinC

MartinC Member

My gear is covered by home contents insurance ... but only while it's inside the house. I don't play live in front of an audience very often at all ... and only in an amateur capacity, so I couldn't justify spending money to cover that. I'd rather watch my gear like a hawk on the rare occassions that I do play live, and use the saved insurance money for something else ... like more gear

15. neil99

neil99 Member

I have rider on my homeowners insurance for all my music gear if its stolen or the house burns down. I think its like 60 bucks a year, not covered out of the house though. When we bought the house, I brought the insurance company what I had for recepts. What I didn't have reciepts for, I had an valuation done by a local music store that I am friendly with stating replacement values and serial numbers etc.

Thanks for reminding me, need to update a few things, curse you emporuim......

16. sosomething

sosomething Member

My gear stored in my house is covered by my homeowner's insurance.

This ain't the Louvre. ;)

17. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I dont know why but that made me LOL... seriously :rotflmao

18. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

I guess rules may depend upon the state you live in but around here it goes as follows:

- Personal objects that usually stay in the insured home are covered by the home insurance, no matter where the object gets stolen.

- A guitar is covered under the regular home insurance but only up to a certain proportion of the total amount. In my case, the insurance company will cover up to 25% in musical instruments (e.g. if you are insured for $40,000, they'll reimburse a maximum of $10,000 for your instruments).

19. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

20. jzilla

jzilla Member

i use music pro insurance for all my instruments and studio equipment. musicproinsurance.com