Does anyone just do interface>computer?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Brusco, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Brusco

Brusco Member

Does anyone here bypass a mixer when recording into your software application? Or is a mixer and buses necessary for most?
    I'd like to monitor to the talent with effects but would like to record just the basic tracks dry. Is this possible to do with most software?

2. Gerry

Gerry Guest

Do you mean instrument>analop/digital interface>computer?
    Because the "mixer" is part of the software program.

Answer is yes; Ed D and others have posted some great sounding clips without mic'ing amps, just using software. Others get pretty good sounds out of pods.

3. Brusco

Brusco Member

Yes, I will be micing drums, amps, vocals, etc. to go into an analog to digital interface. I'm wondering if Cubase or other software applications allow to monitor back with effects. And If I want to use my analog rackmount reverbs and delays will I need a mixer?

4. Gerry

Gerry Guest

I'm using SX3 and it does allow you to use their plug-ins (reverb, chorus, distortions, FX etc) in real time, provided your computer and interface have lotsa RAM for low latency.

I believe SX3 allows you to plug in hardware effects in effect loops just like VST plug-ins (provided of course that your interface has in/outs for effects loops), but I haven't tried that yet.

http://www.laurencepayne.freeserve.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm#top

http://www.cubase.com/forum/default.asp

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/

5. onemind

onemind Member

When Tracking I rarely use the mixer, though I might use a mic pre. I use the mixer for setting up monitor mixes....so sometimes the chain will be

Mic-Pre-Interface-Computer-(out to) Mixing board - headphone distributor, etc....

That's where the latency issue can rear its ugly head!

(s)

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Before I had outboard mic pres I just used the mic pres on the Digi 001. Now I use outboard pres, no mixer in the studio. If I'm out of preamp channels for MIDI gear I can run direct to line inputs on the 001.

I used a mixer just last month on a remote project I tracked with the MBox, mixed down to two tracks on the spot. That's about it.

7. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

I also use an MBox. Really, I just plug in, fire up amplitube and record my stuff.

I'v also used a mic with the MBox - the pre's in it are not bad at all (mind you, it would be good to have some outboard pres as well.)

8. JPF

JPF Member

I'm having a blast recording through my Boss GS10 via USB to my Powerbook, running Garageband. Convert to MP3 and dissect the musical sketches on my iPod.

I guess I'm a cheap date, but it works for me :D

9. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

A follow-on question to Brusco's: Anyone have experience with the MAudio Firewire interfaces, e.g. the 410? (See http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/FireWire410-main.html)?

I am routing from a stereo mike preamp into Audition running on a PC with Firewire and USB ports. The MAudio unit includes preamps, which I would want to bypass in favor of my (better) outboard preamp, so I am just using the A/D converter, basically.

What's the skinny?

10. straticus

straticus Member

I never use a mixer while tracking.

Mic > Aardvark Q10 > Samplitude Pro.

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I run straight into an analog mic pre (no mixer) and then into the A/D and into the computer. Digital mixing only here.

Mic - FMR Really Nice Preamp - Lynx Audio L-22 - Cubase SX3

12. redmax61

redmax61 Member

Pretty similar here. I have a couple of signal chains that I can use. For vocals, I use a Focusrite Platinum TrakMaster channel strip directly into my M-Audio Delta 1010. For instruments, I usually go into a bank of BlueTube preamps then into Behringer compressors, then into the Delta. It's been working very well for me for a while now.