Does anyone know anything about Rola Celestion G12-50's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bosstone, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bosstone

bosstone Member

Someone has a pair listed on Craig's List but I am not familiar with that model. I have had and still have Rola Celestion G12-65's and if it was basically the same but maybe broke up a little earlier, I think I could use them.

2. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Check with Jim at Southbay amp works. I'd say he's an expert in the area.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Not sure about all of the exact specifics, but I have seen them show up usually in early 80s rigs. (mostly Orange cab's) They seem to me to sound like a transition between the Greenback 25 and the Celestion G12-65. Good sounding, a bit on the rare side, but not extremely valuable in my experience.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

Well, if they are between Greenback 25's and Celestion G12-65's you can count me in. For me it don't get a whole lot better than that. Thanks

6. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Had a Sonic 4x12 cab in the '80's loaded with them, didn't care for the sound of them at all. I belive they are simular to the G12M-70's, which I don't like.
    I'd pass on them. Just my opinion thought.

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

I saw a post that said thy had a 1.5" voice coil, like a G12-30 and G12-70 but they look to me like they have a cone, dust cap and magnet like a G12-65, which has a 1.75" voice coil.

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

Just to nail things down, I'm not familiar with Sonic cabs. What amp were you using? Could it have been the the amp or cab or do you feel it had to be the speakers?

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

Does anyone know if they use the 1777 cone?

10. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

I've got a G12S-50, 16 ohm. Cone is marked 2712.

sK

11. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Back in the mid `80's I was useing an early `70's Marshall super Lead with it. I had bought the Sonic cab slightly used as a spare. My main cab was a `70's Marshall 4x12 with 25 watt Celestions.

I think it was more the speakers than the cab. Althought I have no idea what the cab was made of. I say this because I own two Randall 4x12's that were made in the early/mid `80's that are loaded stock with Rola-Celestion G12-65's and they sound great but the cabs are made of about 90% partical board. Only the bottom of the cab is plywood.

12. anibas

anibas Member

They came out in the early 80's,and they were used as standard speakers in ADA quarter stack cabinets and some of the lower powered Kitty Hawk combos,IIRC.I bought a Sterling Imports era Hiwatt Lead 30 halfstack in the late 80's that came with 2 of these wired for a 16 ohm load-worked for me!They certainly sound better than your average G12M-70,but I don't think they're quite as good as the 65 watters either.If they're not too expensive and work right,could be worth checking out.

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

Thanks all. I have decided to pass.