Does anyone know anything about the EL34 conversion for the /13 FTR37?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pir8matt, Sep 5, 2008.

1. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I've been reading about some /13 FTR37's that Fred Taccone converted to use two 6V6'es and two EL34's in the full power mode.

Anyone familiar with this mod know what is entailed with doing it? Is it just a matter of changing the sockets or is there more to it?

Could a skilled amp tech pull it off or would it be better left to Fred? I'd like to try it out, but I don't know about sending the whole thing all the way to california to get it done. Seems like that might be riskier than having someone else work on it.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I can't address /13 specifics, but as long as an amp has transformers that can accomodate both tube types, all that should be required is a rebias AS LONG AS pin one of the power tube sockets is grounded (for EL34s, 6V6s don't care about pin 1).

Any competent tech should be able to figure this out.

3. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

Thats good info for sure, though I'd think that the tranny would need to be rated to handle the extra output from EL34 tubes as well.

Does anyone here that's had experience with the modified FTR 37 know one way or the other if this mod required replacing transformers?

4. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I think Michael.e had one for awhile and may be a good source of info...or you could simply put on your lead underwear and give Fred a call. In my experience a good time to call him is very early before his day gets too hectic. i.e. 5-7am pacific.

5. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I actually sent michael.e a PM earlier, and I just got off the phone with Fred. He must have been in a good mood cause he talked for awhile about it. Didn't sound like the OT needed to be changed, but he said there is a lot of work, changes in wiring/switching/plate voltages, etc. Not as easy as just swapping tubes and rebiasing.

He said though, that setup is going to be released as its own model, called the RBB-1937, so I guess keep an eye out for it. He also mentioned that his website is going to be completely redone soon and new amp models and pics will be going up, etc. Sounds like the guy has a lot on his plate.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I can't address /13 specifics, but as long as an amp has transformers that can accomodate both tube types...

...?

7. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

Right, I didn't know for sure that the FTR's OT would accomodate both.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

The PT might be a bigger issue.

9. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

Details, details. :)

I always learn lots of stuff hanging out here..