Does anyone know....

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by lilbman, Feb 27, 2015.

1. lilbman

lilbman Member

Does anyone know if there is a place on the net that still exists where I can get unbiased gear reviews.

2. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Member

I don't know if you were trying to be snarky, or if this was a genuine question, but there's really no such thing. Everyone will approach gear with some kind of bias. The key is to try to be as fair and balanced as possible.

3. lilbman

lilbman Member

No I wasn't being snarky, I just don't believe such a place exists. Even if there did, it would be immediately infiltrated with skewed results to sway ones opinion. Be reading this kind of ******** for years now and notice familiarities. And it has gotten so much worse through the years. Later

4. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

No there is not.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. shanghaitele

shanghaitele Member

My blog, my reviews are base just on my judgment and everything i review i ourchase with my money, if i dont like Somenthing I write clearly why. But of course my taste is also a filter.

www.guitarblog.it

Like mine there are undress of blogs out there where you can find interesting reviews. I stay far from the review collection sites. Forums sometimes are good source of users opinions end reviews

6. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Wrong forum. This should be in the "Paranoid Conspiracy Theories" or "Random Bitter Rants" sub forums.

7. Lain

Lain Member

Yeah, slagging off a whole forum with your topic is going to be well received here. :D

Nothing to do with digital either.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  8. slybird

slybird Member

I agree with the OP. I don't like most product 'opinions' on TGP and other online forums and the arguments that often ensue, but they are better than nothing.

I do like the review system at Amazon, Parts Express, and a few other online vendors. Product review at those sites I think are generally good indicators of what you are buying, better than TGP. That said, it can sometimes be hard to find a large enough sampling of some products to make an assessment of a product. I wish more buyers took the time to create product evaluations.

9. Lain

Lain Member

Reviews are always biased. No matter if it's on a forum, on a store site or in a magazine.

10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

The problem is, even if I buy it with my own money, I'm still biased... by the style of music I play, the kind of tones I like, the fact that I don't want to admit that I just dropped 500 clams on a piece of crap... all that stuff...

Unbiased reviews are probably possible on things that are merely functional like a hammer or a saw or a refrigerator, but on things that involve aesthetics and emotion (as music does)... I doubt it...

11. gigs

gigs Member

I don't even buy into the notion that an opinion needs to be unbiased. Let's just run with the notion that all opinions are biased and learn how to filter out the garbage better.

12. JohnB

JohnB Member

'the net' & 'unbiased'? :rotflmao

check out a bunch, discard any obvious agendas & glean the info that is important to you.

13. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

You just dropped almost $5,000 on a processor, comtroller and an FRFR system to take it to it's full potential.

Are you really going on the internet to tell someone you royally F'ed up? Be for real.

14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

[​IMG]

15. Baminated

Baminated Member

For a "perfect world" unbiased review scenario, you'd have to have at least 30 different players of different genres reviewing each and every aspect of the gear with different guitars, pickups, speakers, etc
    [​IMG]

16. db9091

db9091 Member

There is always bias to reviews on the web. Some get kickbacks from the companies bias. Some biases are based on unhappy experiences with the gear or often customer service. Some are based on personal gear preferences.

I've always noticed that in Sound on Sound they never really tell bad things about gear, because who would advertise in them if they were bashed? Typically Premier Guitar does reviews (5 Picks) so that's cool.

The best reviews state their biases, or do a good job listing PRO's and CON's and you then see if the CON's are something you can live with or not.

The thing about reviews, even personally ones, are that they change over time. The more you have experience with gear, the more your opinion changes. So a good review will also state how long they've worked with it.

I like DEMO's better than reviews, or Demo reviews on YouTube. At least you can see the gear in action.

For guitar pedals, I just LOVE Gearmandude, even tho I don't buy pedals anymore, he's quite entertaining in a Jack Black style.

Oh, one thing to add, reviews about gear that changes are difficult. The FXII and KPA are always updating firmware so you need to see what firmware is being reviewed too.

The best review is your own of course. But even that is... biased, right?

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

There is no such thing as an unbiased review; and beyond just the bias of the reviewer there is more a question IMHO of context.

You need to, as a reader, understand the context which means you need to understand the who/why/how a given reviewer tends to actually work in relation to what they share. In other words, you can either trust or not trust someone and given enough time and context OVER time and a history of their reviews (preferences, application, genre, etc) you can then have a better handle of how to weigh their opinion versus your own needs/wants.

The key is context, history and relevance over time versus any sort of 'bias'. For example, anything Lance Keltner or Pete Thorn demo will sound awesome. ANYTHING. They have the talent, a sound and experience to get their 'thing' out of anything they touch.

The key to it, as in all things, is to look at each review as a data point, noting how you have agreed with or disagreed with the reviewer's taste and needs in the past and then use enough different sources to better balance what the gear can/cannot do for you.

We live in an age where just a written review is almost regarded passe; a quick search can yield multiple demonstrations and opinions. I think it is great to be able to hear/see/read about stuff you cannot try firsthand before you buy but I am also much more of a pragmatic cynic - I won't know anything about how something works for me until I try it firsthand.

Take things for what they are instead of just worrying about what they may or may not be. Data is data; points of view shared without any expectation are just data points. More is more. Balance and weigh them accordingly. It is much easier today to get a better balanced view of something than it has been at any other time given the Internet. IMHO. YMMV.

18. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

There is this thing....called science. It's a set of tools that obviates what you like, and allows you to know what you see, versus what you know. Or, in some other words, it keeps you from bullshitting yourself. It also allows you to see who's full of ****. Now to incorporate these into the entirety of one's experience.... Yeah, tall ****in order.

19. rsm

rsm Member

All my reviews are unbiased. :banana

just send me the gear you want reviewed, I will send you my bill for the review and create my unbiased, scientific review especially for you upon receipt of payment. :messedup

if you want the gear back, you need to arrange for return shipping.

Trust me.

:sarcasm

20. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

For unbiased gear reviews on YouTube try Intheblues and EytschPi42. EytschPi42 Is really good at calling it as he hears it. So honest it's funny sometimes.

There are a few people here that I trust. They aren't in anyone's back pocket and will pretty much call it like they hear it. They will tell you the pros and cons of every price of gear they own or have owned. That is "unbiased" to me. If there is something you don't like about a piece of gear they are first to want to understand what your experiencing instead of just cutting you down.

Even most of the direct company reps here are pretty decent. Sure they have a product they stand behind, but they are good communicators and won't just slam someone who disagrees with them,...unless they get out of hand. They just human after all.