Does anyone make a D*mble clone of SRV's tone from Texas Flood? (SSS)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AJ Love, Oct 4, 2006.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I've been enjoying hearing alot of soundclips of the various D*mble clones... alot of them are chasing the Robben Ford tone which is of course very cool, but I'm more into SRV's Texas Flood tone than Robben's tone

Does anyone make a clone of Jackson Browne's D*umble? The one SRV used on Texas Flood?

If not, or even if so, which Two Rock or Fuchs (or other) amp gets closest to that sound?

I love the tones that I hear from the Fuchs ODS-SLX and Two Rock Custom Sig amps, but I'm realizing that they (especially the Fuchs) are not for me. They sound too polite, too "fusiony". I'm looking for a more aggressive ballsy Boutique D*mble sound.... does Fuchs do that sound? Or current Two Rock amps? Or...?

2. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Why don't you talk to Andy or Bill about voicing one of their models w/ that kind of headroom, etc? I'm not that familiar with much of SRV's stuff, so I don't know the exact sound per say.

If you don't know all the possibilities of these amps, then most likely you wouldn't find 'THAT' tone by trying one out for a few days. There's so many factors in trying to capture a recorded amp live, most likely any of those previous mentioned models could get that sound w/ a little tweak.

If not, sometimes it's a simple cap value or snip & solder of a wire that can achieve it. Perhaps someone more knowledgable in the Dumble realm can clear this up, but I'm pretty certain all the 'built for each customer' hoopla is really just choosing the particular cap values, and perhaps a few boosts or push pull options. If there are 2 ODS 50's, I'd assume they'd have the same trannies, same model gain structure (different values perhaps), same power tube design. While these value changes DO make a difference, it's not worth giving up an amp and looking for a new one...just get the one you've got tweaked to work out best for you if the existing options don't settle.

I recommend contacting the builders.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Wasn't that a multi-amp setup he used...?

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Well, I wasn't there. :) However, from what I understand the album "Texas Flood" was recorded using Jackson Browne's Dumble Amp. SRV's subsequent albums were indeed recorded using multiple amps....

5. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

6. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Two Rock has a limited edition amp called the Sterling that is a SSS clone. Only 10 of these amps were made, and I don't know if TR will make any additional Sterlings. You can find info here:

http://dhenderson.com/TwoRock/viewtopic.php?t=531

FVB

7. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

FWIW, the Steel String Singer that Dumble made for Stevie wasn't like the normal lead amp of a SSS. And the SSS that Dumble made Stevie wasn't the same amp/tone as the Dumbleland that Jackson had.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"There are some different things about Stevie's. His is set up more like a bass amp, modified to accommodate the guitar range. It's not the usual lead guitar 'singer' approach. One thing he liked was that he could turn the volume control all the way up, and it didn't distort - it just got louder. He does make it distort sometimes because he has about 50 megatons of pressure when he attacks the strings (laughs). He gets an incredible amount of signal out his guitar, and most amplifiers can't take it. He did his first album with a bass amp I'd made for Jackson Browne."

8. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Yeah, I think the "Dumbleland" is actually a bass amp.

9. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

The 300w variety with 6 powertubes most definately was intended for bass. perhaps the DS-150 150w variety turned into the Steel String Singer? That V2 tube on the Jackson amp looks like it could be an octal preamp tube?

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Fascinating. I greatly appreciate the info... so the Jackson Browne Dumble that SRV recorded Texas Flood with is a Dumbleland bass amp? wow

(quote) "....He does make it distort sometimes because he has about 50 megatons of pressure when he attacks the strings (laughs). He gets an incredible amount of signal out his guitar, and most amplifiers can't take it."

I think that is an important point about SRV's technique, The way he attacked the strings with a very very heavy attack. I've never heard anyone who plays with a "correct" light touch approach that sound...Anyways, on to more Amp talk. Is there a current production Boutique Amp that approaches that more aggressive, ballsy, low-mid tone?

What about the Two Rock Opal?

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Two Rock info:
    The Onyx is pretty gainy...and it has 2 channels, with separate eq, which I dig. I've also heard that the Ruby is even more gainy. It is discontinued, though.
    S.
    j

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

That's an electrolytic cap mounted on the chassis.

13. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

The Kendrick Climax is close. It's still avaiable in a kit form for (I think) $1100 <- Don't qoute me on this price

14. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Mystique amp made one or two SSS style amps which i THINK was tweaked for the Texas Flood tone rather than the later SRV sound. I know that the most amazing Texas Flood like tone i have heard from any amp or player aver was a Tele neck PU through my Mystic Blues amp with OD off but volume quite high (friend playing not me). All that shimmer and sustain without compression and other unwanted noises.
    Tommy Cougar sometimes have used Mystiques for sale or might know of any.. (www.custombycougar.com)

15. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Ah, I assumed since it was in the same plane as the tubes that it was just an emptied filter cap used for a shield on an octal tube.

I've got that going on my amp's v1 6SL7
    [​IMG]

16. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Never seen that done before, that's cool.