1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone make a height-adjustable ABR bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Rock Johnson, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Does anyone make a Gibson-style bridge (either ABR or Nashville) that's height-adjustable? Obviously the thumbwheels set overall string height, but there's no way to easily adjust the radius at the bridge, a la Fender bridges.

I've done some research and haven't ever seen one, so... anybody?

2. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

Not that I know of. That design would have to vary from the original ABR-1 pretty significantly.

3. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Yeah, it would... but it would still be an interesting take on the whole thing, don't you think?

4. justonwo

That being said, they are rarely properly radiused from the factory.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

there are several versions of tune-o-matics with height adjustable saddles, some of which even lock the saddles down after adjustment.

http://www.allparts.com/store/guitar-bridges-tunematics-gb-2585-010,Product.asp

to me, it's a bit of a solution in search of a problem, as regular bridges can be radiused to match the guitar just fine by judicious filing of the saddle slots, and as a general rule, bridges with less moving parts sound better than bridges with more.

6. justonwo

Very cool. I didn't know those existed.

7. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Awesome. I hear you about the judicious filing, but you have to admit that a simple turn of the allen wrench is much simpler and, most importantly, reversible.