• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Does anyone make a humbucker sized Jazzmaster pickup?

thrashmetl

NO, NOT A P-90, A Jazzmaster pickup, two very different sounding pickups. Does anyone make one? I LOVE the sound of Jazzmaster pickups, but I don't like the feel of the Jazzmaster. Is it even possible to fit it in there?

schmerf

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head but you might want to shoot an email to Curtis Novak or vintagevibeguitars.com

Al Nico

Pete at vintagevibeguitars.com makes an alinco pole P-90 in a humbucker case, so I don't see he couldn't make a jazzmaster version. It would just be using different wire gauge and # winds.

aquadog

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head but you might want to shoot an email to Curtis Novak or vintagevibeguitars.com
I'd second the Novak's, he winds incredible pickups. He also seems to be well known for making some of the best jazzmaster pups around, so I don't see why couldn't make it work out

kimock

NO, NOT A P-90, A Jazzmaster pickup, two very different sounding pickups. Does anyone make one? I LOVE the sound of Jazzmaster pickups, but I don't like the feel of the Jazzmaster. Is it even possible to fit it in there?
I don't think you can really get the Jazzmaster thing exactly without the "big window". If you're looking for a BIG single coil sound in a humbucking size pickup, the closest thing to the Jazzmaster sound currently available that I'm aware of is the Harmonic Design Z90. I know they advertise those as P-90-ish in a HB size, but I've got stock 60's P-90's and Jazzmaster pickups, and the Z-90 does a great job at the big single coil sound if it's not too close to the strings. Anyway, it's a unique pickup, and it doesn't really sound like a P-90, so don't scratch it off the list till you hear one.

Other than that, I would add Jason Lollar to the list of folks who could wind you something special, he has a good take on the Jazzmaster pickup as well, and I'll second the Vintage Vibe suggestion.
Both those guys do great work. I haven't tried the Novak stuff personally yet.
If you really want that Jazzmaster pickup sound, you're gonna have to cut your guitar.
There's no replacement for displacement!

peace

LocustXReign

I don't think you can really get the Jazzmaster thing exactly without the "big window". If you're looking for a BIG single coil sound in a humbucking size pickup, the closest thing to the Jazzmaster sound currently available that I'm aware of is the Harmonic Design Z90. I know they advertise those as P-90-ish in a HB size, but I've got stock 60's P-90's and Jazzmaster pickups, and the Z-90 does a great job at the big single coil sound if it's not too close to the strings. Anyway, it's a unique pickup, and it doesn't really sound like a P-90, so don't scratch it off the list till you hear one.

Other than that, I would add Jason Lollar to the list of folks who could wind you something special, he has a good take on the Jazzmaster pickup as well, and I'll second the Vintage Vibe suggestion.
Both those guys do great work. I haven't tried the Novak stuff personally yet.
If you really want that Jazzmaster pickup sound, you're gonna have to cut your guitar.
There's no replacement for displacement!

peace
I second hackin it up!

It'd be like an inversion of what the dudes from Sonic Youth did to theirs :)

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I have installed Jazzmaster pickups in a Strat. I had to trim the top of the bobbin, slightly enlarge a double fat pickguard and remove the slightest bit of material in the body. In this case I used Duncan 1/4 pounder's for Jazzmaster. Pictures pretty much tell the story - a whole lot of measuring and layout then careful work. Would I do it again? Hell Yes -

ketot

Bump, does anyone know any humbucker sized jazzmaster pickup? looking to put one in the neck of my epiphone sheraton

ketot

in fact, the sound i'm trying to get is like this. That's a video of Band of Skulls playing 'Cold Fame'. He's using the neck pickup in his jazzmaster.

This is the album version, which might be abit clearer.

I'm trying to get that sound in my semi-hollow, and i know i wont be able to sound exactly like that due to the many variables (amp, guitar, wood, FINGERS), but it would be cool to get in that sort of ball park, and then make it into my own kind of sound, know what i mean?

Normal P-90 pickups that i've heard online just sound a bit different than the jazzmaster. Difficult to describe in words. I guess the jazzmaster pickups sound more strat-ish than normal p-90s, but at the same time fatter than the normal strat sound.

Even if i can't get a jazzmaster pickup in a humbucker size, it would be awesome if someone could recommend some other pickup (other humbucker sized p-90 pickups) that can get me in that ballpark too. I've listened to the Bareknuckle Pickup Mississippi Queen, but that one is a bit too fierce, and not single coil-y enough for me.

Trending Topics