Does Anyone Make Such a Thing?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Digby, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Does anyone make a pedal that gives you that 'spongey' amp feel in a box? You know, not compression, but that 'give' that occurs when you really dig in on some amps.

DiGbY

2. krog

krog Member

The term is "sag" and I don't know of any pedal that emulates that tube rectifier sound...maybe one of those new Boss amp pedals..the Bassman or the Deluxe reverb pedals??

3. DylanGuitar

DylanGuitar Member

I believe Lovepedal made one of these at one time but I forgot what it was called. Did see a demo of it on youtube a while back.

4. 1sickpuppy

1sickpuppy Gold Supporting Member

Maven Peal The Howler has a peal knob that works as a sag control. I have one and I'm very happy with it.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good point...it sure shouldn't be hard to do at all....some input transistor or op-amp biased along with some RC (resistor and capacitor, which can act as "delay" timer for how long the signal dips before coming up again) so some setpoint...anything over it dips slightly first, then comes up.

Surprised no one is marketing a thing like that...more aggresively...maybe it doesn't sound as good or is harder to do than I am thinking.

6. JimH

JimH Member

Can't a compressor approximate it?

7. SGFan

SGFan Member

Maybe the BJF Honey Bee? Also possibly the Menatone Working Man's Blue. Both have that feel IMHO.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good call...I didn't even think of that, but yeah, a compressor set pretty hard ought to do the same thing. Especially one that lets you set attack and release times as well as threshold, and makeup..!

9. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Approximate is the operative word. Yeah, I have and use a compressor, and it does something that vaguely imitates what I've described, but it's NOT the same thing.

Me too! You know they would sell like hotcakes. My Greer Buttertone does this, but I am after a dedicated unit so my BT can return to being a clean boost\fattener.

Digby

10. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

What about the Liquid Sunshine OD? It has a real sag in its sound, but it may be more compressed than you want.

11. Digby

Digby Senior Member

I'll have to look into it. I'm looking for a device to do this that stays clean.

I think I know why the other devices mentioned never took off. They both have three and four hundred dollars price tags!!! Jesus H Christ guys |(Maven and Menatone) you really don't want to sell them do you!? For crying out loud.

Okay enough of that.

digby

12. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

TBIAC 8 knob has a sag knob that really works well. The gain can be set for cleaner sounds. Pristine clean|? Probably not.

13. sqadan

sqadan Member

Working Man's Blue by Menatone has a Sag knob as well....

It's a JTM-45 flavored pedal. Billed as an amp in a box.

14. 4styx

4styx Member

Not a pedal but a Weber Copper Cap tube recitifer simulator in your amp will work.

15. Digby

Digby Senior Member

I like the sound of your idea. Not a pedal? Even better.

Thanks,

digby