1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone own a "Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet" guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SgtThump, Jan 24, 2006.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I was in GC today checking out some guitars, when I picked up a MIK Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet in black with the Bigsby licensed tremolo. This guitar impressed the heck out of me! The build quality seemed TOP NOTCH and the guitar played better than anything else I touched in the store. The action was low and the guitar just felt great.

I plugged it into a Fender Hot Rod combo set to clean and played around for a short while. I thought it sounded fantastic. I didn't get to see if it had any balls with distortion, though, as I ran out of time.

These have the little Gretsch mini-humbuckers installed in them. Does anyone have one of these guitars and if so, how does it sound for good 'ole classic hard rock? Stuff like Bad Company, Led Zeppelin, Black Crowes, etc... Basically Les Paul rock.

If I got one, I'd get the model without the Bigsby, as I like stoptails best. They're only like $385, which is a killer price for the quality.

Does anyone have experience with them?

Chris

2. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I'd also get the gold version, as I'm a sucker for LP Goldtops (sold mine this past year).

[​IMG]

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

a buddy of mine bought one and let me play it at our jams...NICE guitar...I was impressed. nice tones, nice neck.

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks for the feedback! Does it sound similar to a Les Paul, only not quite as thick or is it in another ballpark altogether? Possibly a blend of Strat (w/humbuckers) and LP type of tone?

Chris

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Before jpage comes in here saying "if you want a Les Paul, get a Les Paul", please realize that I'm only wondering how it sounds in comparison to a Les Paul. I already have a Les Paul and a Strat and wouldn't mind finding another LP style guitar with a slightly different tone. I'm not shooting for something WAAAAAAAAY different like an ES335 or anything, but a little different is great.

Chris

6. drolling

drolling Member

I'm not always happy w/what Fender does w/its own stuff, but they worked a miracle on Gretsch.

Those Electros are some of the nicest guitars to ever come out of Korea. They've completely revamped the hollowbody model 3 times since it came out last year, based on feedback from players.

I'd love to have one of those pro jets, too. But w/o the whammy, as those "licensed" Bigsbys are a bit cheezy..

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Now that I think about it, I believe this particular guitar may be made in China, not Korea or Japan. Not 100% sure about that, though.

But I don't mind. Afterall, my Vox AC30CC2 is made in China and it kicks all kinds of butt. :)

8. Tinman

Tinman Member

I saw Son Volt a couple of months ago and Jay Farrar, the front man, used two of these with Bigsbys all night through a Bassman reissue. He was getting great tone. As succesful as he is, I'm sure he could afford more expensive guitars.

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

How do you tell the difference between the cheaper Jet's and the more expensive models? I know the cheaper versions say "Electromatic" on the headstock, but are there other ways to tell?

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I'm getting more and more into lesser expensive high quality guitars. I've been through quite a few expensive guitars in my days, but I'm now down to a MIM Fender Sambora Strat (for my occassional Floyd-Rose fix) and a MIJ Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul replica. Both guitars are killer and cheap.

I think this Gretsch may fall into that same category. I can afford more expensive guitars if I want, but I'm going the cheaper route for now.

Chris

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Man, that goldtop model without the Bigsby is growing on me bigtime.

12. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

LOL... The whole 'Made in China' and 'I'm starting to dig cheap guitars' statements must've killed this thread... :)

13. bspears

bspears Member

I just got the MIK hollow body Historic Series. The build quality is excellent. The set up was **** out of the box but all is well now. I love this guitar.

14. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The first Pro Jet I played seemed very heavey, for a small bodied semi-hollow. The fit and finish wasn't very good. Last week I played another one, and it was lighter, and the fit and finish was better. They had a used Areodyne Strat, which I bought. Other wise I would have come home with the Pro Jet. As with any mid priced import, I would play it first, before buying. They can be great guitars, for the money.

15. Tinman

Tinman Member

The Electromatics use a B5 style Bigsby which mounts only to the top of the guitar. The high end Gretsch guitars use other Bigsby models (B3 & B7?) that hinge over to the side of the guitar. I'm pretty sure the controls are different as well.

16. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Well I just got back from playing one again. I'm not so sure the tone is what I'm after. Too bad, because the build quality was excellent and the guitar looks cool as heck!!!!

Chris