Does anyone own an Anderson Cobra S?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by yanquii, Oct 22, 2005.

1. yanquii

yanquii Member

Well, I am now looking for something with a H/S/S config, but I dont like humbuckers coupled with the 25.5" scale. I play bluesy space rock, and single coils are a big part of my sound. I need a guitar that can do incredible mildly broken up sounds and beautiful cleans, but I want a hum in the bridge that will just totally scream. I want to get as close to an lp as possible, but with some added definition and some of the muddiness taken out.

I have been rather dissapointed with the H/S/S Fender Strats that i have played. The humbuckers seem to lack alot of punch and fatness. They just sound bland to me. So, how does the Cobra S sound in relation to my needs?

Thanks, dudes.:)

2. jgraham

jgraham Member

I don't have an 'S', but that's pretty much exactly how I'd describe my Cobra. Plus, compared to a LP, IMO it plays a lot better, is lighter, and has more switching options. I love the H2+ bridge pickup.

3. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

Cobras are killer guitars; as soon as my finances shape up, I'm ordering my second one.

4. yanquii

yanquii Member

Yeah, I love the comfort of strats, they just dont do everything i want them to do. Does anyone know how much they start at?

5. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

List price for a Cobra Special is $3050 (all mahogany). with a maple top it's $3250. With dealer discount, figure around $2500.

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have a cobra special and a hollow cobra. Cobra specials usually go fo $1K or less used. That is a killer deal cause they are killer guitars. Mine is all mahogany TV yellow.

P-90's rock!

7. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

Yanquii

I don't have an S but I can certainly agree with JonGraham.

I have the Cobra.

I spent a fair amount of time with Tom and Roy discussing what I was looking for. They nailed the LP and Tele sound plus much, much more. I still have my LP and Tele's and love them. But the TAG they made for me is frigging awesome.

I just received my new Coba 2 weeks ago. Translucent Amber Cherry Burst/Binding with Quilted Maple Top on Mahogany, Rosewood, Rosewood Fretboard. H1- and H2+ pups. With the 5 Way, Pull on Tone Knob it splits the middle position. The Six tonal variations, from rich, full humbuckers to clear, beautiful single coils,are truly surprising from a guitar of this format.

THE "S" has a slightly narrowed and more concentrated bandwidth. Gives a much fatter singlecoil tone. Loaded with Humbuckers, it's a different animal.

So many fine guitars being made by some excellent folks. And, just take a look at all the fine guitars everyone on the GP have. How does one figure out which one next?

It's such a great dilemma.

Good Luck.

8. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Just an FYI.
    Anderson will not place a single coil in the center of a Cobra S. The closest you can get is a P90 or mini Hum.
    I have a Hollow S that a luthier roughted a sc in the middle so its H/S/H.
    Tom must have his reasons I guess.

Gregory

9. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Just buy one of these and you will be all set. These are not fS though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

yep, I have a drop top tele that is a one off that Tom, Brett, and staff built for me way back when.

It features a all maple neck and fingerboard, H/S/H, 1 Volume, 5 way, original Floyd Rose, basswood body, 5A quilt top in natural.

It was cool being at the factory when Tom unvailed his UV machine. This was the first or one of the first to go through the process.

If someone will host some pics I will be happy to share.

Gregory

11. jgraham

jgraham Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hosted for Greg (MGG)

12. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Thanks for hosting those Jon.

The Drop Top Tele is the one off. ( very 80's huh?)
    Still to this day it is one of the best sounding guitars I have ever played. It just has that magic mojo I guess.

The S is my Hollowbody Cobra with a Fishman Piezo.
    It features Harmonic Design Pickups.
    The single coil in the center was added post production.

Gregory

PS, If you look closely at the Tele it has 2 input jacks.
    I had them do this depending if I was sitting or standing.
    Look between the bottom strap buttons