Does anyone play with Zexcoil pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bojomojo, May 27, 2019.

1. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

Greetings,

I’m interested in hearing what you think about Zexcoil pickups. Do you own the Legacy or Z-Core design? I’m thinking of getting the Z-Core 5 Hot Vintage set. Anyone ever try these?

Thank you,
    Ed

2. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

For vintage sounds the new Z Core are fantastic - this is what I have now. The signature set from the legacy series (Juicy Bucker, throaty Bucker and fat5 middle) are great for a HSH style sound. Btw, that Juicy Bucker is a great humbucker style sound for a strat.

bojomojo likes this.
  3. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

Thank you for your response.

pipedwho likes this.
  4. Warlag

Warlag Member

I’ve been Dieing to get a set of them pickups but never had the extra cash to make the move... but some day they will be mine!!

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

The builder often posts around here and shares some rather deep development details. Search Zexcoil.

Markdude likes this.
  6. Antmax

Antmax Member

I've heard great things from aquaintances here on the internet. But youtube videos never really tell the whole story and I'm reluctant to spend the cash without hearing them first. They are supposed to sound just like real single coils without the hum. Basically what half of us who love single coils want.

7. Tone_Terrific

I think a demo set was made available to those willing to go on a wait list and circulate them after trying. That may have passed.:dunno

8. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

They are the only noiseless pickups I've tried so far that have given me true SC cutting top end on my strat, essentially because they are single coils in most ways that matter. I've tried two from the new z core series, a vintage and a higher output modern one that I prefer of the two.

The guitar I had them on is a moving target and had the neck cannibalized shortly after getting the z cores so it's hard to comment on tone. I find them a bit on the sterile side, or modern and tight if that's a better way to put it :). I think I'll drop one in my main guitar sometime just to check it out apples to apples.

bojomojo likes this.
  9. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I was one. I posted a compare on YouTube with the zex and my stock 60 thru a red plate amp

bojomojo likes this.
  10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

I'm in the process of ordering a loaded pickguard this week. I'm going with an HSS config.

I understand what you're saying about YT vids but these vids convinced me to make a purchase.

This guy has a Juicy bucker in the bridge and 2 hot vintage 5's in the neck and middle. Very similar to what I'm getting

This guy has a vintage underwound set

And this guy has a vintage bucker in the bridge and 2 vintage 5's in the neck and the middle. The bridge/middle quack tone is as good as most traditional strats I've played which is amazing considering its a HB voiced pickup in the bridge.

bojomojo likes this.
  11. Tone_Terrific

One of the few pup designs that actually steps outside of tradition while aiming to solve genuine issues.

bojomojo likes this.