Does anyone play with Zexcoil pickups?

bojomojo

Greetings,

I’m interested in hearing what you think about Zexcoil pickups. Do you own the Legacy or Z-Core design? I’m thinking of getting the Z-Core 5 Hot Vintage set. Anyone ever try these?

Thank you,
Ed

pipedwho

For vintage sounds the new Z Core are fantastic - this is what I have now. The signature set from the legacy series (Juicy Bucker, throaty Bucker and fat5 middle) are great for a HSH style sound. Btw, that Juicy Bucker is a great humbucker style sound for a strat.

bojomojo

For vintage sounds the new Z Core are fantastic - this is what I have now. The signature set from the legacy series (Juicy Bucker, throaty Bucker and fat5 middle) are great for a HSH style sound. Btw, that Juicy Bucker is a great humbucker style sound for a strat.
Thank you for your response.

Warlag

I’ve been Dieing to get a set of them pickups but never had the extra cash to make the move... but some day they will be mine!!

Antmax

I've heard great things from aquaintances here on the internet. But youtube videos never really tell the whole story and I'm reluctant to spend the cash without hearing them first. They are supposed to sound just like real single coils without the hum. Basically what half of us who love single coils want.

Tone_Terrific

Supporting Member
But youtube videos never really tell the whole story and I'm reluctant to spend the cash without hearing them first.
I think a demo set was made available to those willing to go on a wait list and circulate them after trying. That may have passed.:dunno

Shiny_Beast

They are the only noiseless pickups I've tried so far that have given me true SC cutting top end on my strat, essentially because they are single coils in most ways that matter. I've tried two from the new z core series, a vintage and a higher output modern one that I prefer of the two.

The guitar I had them on is a moving target and had the neck cannibalized shortly after getting the z cores so it's hard to comment on tone. I find them a bit on the sterile side, or modern and tight if that's a better way to put it :). I think I'll drop one in my main guitar sometime just to check it out apples to apples.

fr8_trane

Supporting Member
I've heard great things from aquaintances here on the internet. But youtube videos never really tell the whole story and I'm reluctant to spend the cash without hearing them first. They are supposed to sound just like real single coils without the hum. Basically what half of us who love single coils want.
I'm in the process of ordering a loaded pickguard this week. I'm going with an HSS config.

I understand what you're saying about YT vids but these vids convinced me to make a purchase.

This guy has a Juicy bucker in the bridge and 2 hot vintage 5's in the neck and middle. Very similar to what I'm getting

This guy has a vintage underwound set

And this guy has a vintage bucker in the bridge and 2 vintage 5's in the neck and the middle. The bridge/middle quack tone is as good as most traditional strats I've played which is amazing considering its a HB voiced pickup in the bridge.

Trending Topics